Hydraulic steering maintenance? Teleflex SeaStar 1.7 Helm HH5271

twr7cx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have had my boat for 3 years now (2001 Haynes Signature 520C). It has fitted to it a hydraulic steering system including a Teleflex SeaStar 1.7 Helm HH5271 helm pump.

During my time of ownership I have conducted no maintenance or servicing on this hydraulic steering system. Is there anything that I should be doing to it? Any links/information will be appreciated.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Hydraulic steering maintenance? Teleflex SeaStar 1.7 Helm HH5271

Check the fluid regularly. Oil does not evaporate so it should always be full. If you need to add search for a leak. If water or dirt is found it is time for new seals. I keep a qt of Sea Star fluid on the boat ~~ $22 qt ~~ just in case.

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

R and R the steering cylinder mounts every couple of years (every year if salt water use), you'll be glad you did if/when you have to do it because of a problem ... :facepalm:

twr7cx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Teleflex SeaStar 1.7 Helm HH5271 -

I have a 2001 Haynes Signature 520C. It has fitted to it a hydraulic steering system including a Teleflex SeaStar 1.7 Helm HH5271 helm pump. The steering on it has become very clunky - basically when turning it seems to catch and release a bit - it's somewhat hard to describe but the steering gets stiff and hard to turn then eases, then stiffens again, then eases as it's being turned.

I disconnected the outboard from the steering mechanism at the stern of the boat and moved the outboard left and right - it moves freely - which tells me that the issue lies with the steering system rather.

Any advice on how to fault find if the cause is the helm pump of the hydraulic piston part at the rear that pushes/pulls the motor (what is the correct name for this component please?)?

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Is this a problem that's gotten worse over time, or did it just start?

Is the helm pump reservoir full? I'd trace that system from end to end, every fitting (including behind the pump) and check for a fluid leak. Anywhere that fluid can escape, air can get in, and that sounds to me like your issue- air in the system.

I replaced my old and leaky Hynautic helm pump with that same Seastar pump last year. My setup is different than yours (more complicated), but it took me three complete, end-to-end 'bleeds' over several weeks to finally get all the air out.

My .02

jbcurt00

Staff member

Is the helm pump reservoir full? I'd trace that system from end to end, every fitting (including behind the pump) and check for a fluid leak. Anywhere that fluid can escape, air can get in, and that sounds to me like your issue- air in the system.

I replaced my old and leaky Hynautic helm pump with that same Seastar pump last year. My setup is different than yours (more complicated), but it took me three complete, end-to-end 'bleeds' over several weeks to finally get all the air out.

My .02

Bump.

You didnt answer JoLin's question.

Merging this topic w your other topic about this setup.

Moved to the steering forum

twr7cx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes, there is oil in there - I can see it. But there is no markings to indicate where the full level actually is? It's not completely full up, it's got oil up to around the top of the gear mechanism inside.

twr7cx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We have just come out of winter here, so the boat hasn't been used in a bit over 4 months. The problem has just come on though - wasn't like that prior to winter.

jbcurt00

Staff member

R and R the steering cylinder mounts every couple of years (every year if salt water use), you'll be glad you did if/when you have to do it because of a problem ... :facepalm:

Yep, I did. Because I thought this ^^^ might have prevented the problem you asked about in the topic I merged into this one and you repeated in another new topic about it.

jbcurt00

Staff member
2yrs ago when you said you'd done no maintenance in the 3yrs you'd owned the boat and didnt have a manual, still dont, best I can tell, did you follow the maintenance advice you were given then? Or do any since?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

This manual. http://www.seastarsolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/SeaStar-Front-Mount-Helm-Pumps-Rev.B-998002B.pdf

You've merged a recent fault finding/diagnosis thread with a 2 year old general maintenance thread?

Fill with oil to bottom of the filler port.

All the threads are merged so we don''t get any more confused than we are. It never works to have two working threads on the same subject, And because you keep asking questions, you have two working threads.

We are trying to help you.

alldodge

Staff member
Yes, there is oil in there - I can see it. But there is no markings to indicate where the full level actually is? It's not completely full up, it's got oil up to around the top of the gear mechanism inside.

It needs to be full to the top, you are getting air in the helm and there is your inconsistency.

twr7cx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Brilliant, thanks guys. Will go and get some more oil for it.