1998 mercury 40hp control box

gahunter706

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My motor is a 1998 Mercury 40hp serial #0G662847. When I put it in forward this morning, I heard a snap from the control box and it was stuck in forward at about 1/4 throttle. I took the control box apart when I got home and found that part of the metal "gear" (not really sure what it is called) inside of the box had snapped off. Is it possible to get parts for the box and rebuild it, or will I need to get a new control box? There are 2 numbers inside the cover of the box NA1601-03 and 16912. Thanks in advance.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1998 mercury 40hp control box

My motor is a 1998 Mercury 40hp serial #0G662847. When I put it in forward this morning, I heard a snap from the control box and it was stuck in forward at about 1/4 throttle. I took the control box apart when I got home and found that part of the metal "gear" (not really sure what it is called) inside of the box had snapped off. Is it possible to get parts for the box and rebuild it, or will I need to get a new control box? There are 2 numbers inside the cover of the box NA1601-03 and 16912. Thanks in advance.

You could do a search here on the iboat sections for possible replacement parts. Do a search on Engine Controls and then fine tune the search for Mercury control boxes and year and see if yours is listed. If it is, they will have a break-down and you can select the replacement and see the cost as well...

gahunter706

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the link, that appears to be the right control box. I searched for over an hour and couldn't find it.

The part that broke is the #28 Drive Gear, which is the only part for the control box that isn't available :frusty: Any advice on how I can fix this without having to buy a $300 control box? I am going to call some boat shops on Monday to see if they can get the part because everywhere online shows that it isn't available.

gahunter706

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The part that broke is the #28 Drive Gear, which is the only part for the control box that isn't available :frusty: Any advice on how I can fix this without having to buy a $300 control box? I am going to call some boat shops on Monday to see if they can get the part because everywhere online shows that it isn't available.

Anybody have any suggestions?

BatDaddy1887

Chief Petty Officer

Also, a boat junk-yard near you may several that may work for a good price. Hopefully your cables are still in good shape. Ebay and CL is a good source as well.

gahunter706

Petty Officer 3rd Class

These guys say they have one in stock, may be worth a call.

ACCESSORIES Commander 2000 Remote Control(16900 Series) Parts

Can you post a picture of the broken part?

Gerry

Thanks for finding that, I am going to order it when I get out of class. I won't be able to get a picture of the part until 2 weeks from now when I go home from school.

Also, a boat junk-yard near you may several that may work for a good price. Hopefully your cables are still in good shape. Ebay and CL is a good source as well.

The cables seem to be in good shape, but the throttle cable does freeze up when it gets below 20deg and I have to thaw it out with warm water. Is it normal for a throttle cable to freeze or does that mean it needs to be replaced?

BatDaddy1887

Chief Petty Officer

The throttle cable should not freeze up unless maybe corroded or has water in the jacket somewhere. If it were the shifter cable there would be more places where it might fail. It seems that a new throttle cable is in order if you actually use it in freezing temps.

gahunter706

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The throttle cable should not freeze up unless maybe corroded or has water in the jacket somewhere. If it were the shifter cable there would be more places where it might fail. It seems that a new throttle cable is in order if you actually use it in freezing temps.

I use the boat year round, but I live in middle GA so it doesn't get too cold around here. I used the boat 3 days this winter when it was below 20deg and when the gear broke in the control box it was 12deg. I will probably change the throttle cable before next winter. It sucks when stuff breaks at 4am in below freezing temps.

BatDaddy1887

Chief Petty Officer

...yeah, too bad they don't sell instant sunshine in a can...!!!!

gahunter706

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well I talked to marinepowerservice and they didn't have the part like their website showed. I am going to talk to a machine shop when I go home next weekend and see how much it would cost for them to reproduce the part. Should be a lot cheaper than a new control box.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I would suggest e bay. I got a controller and cables for mine last year for 100.00.

gahunter706

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Mercury Controls w/ tilt and trim on handle

Would this control box work for my motor? The mounting holes appear to be the same, but would the wiring harness and cables that are already on my boat hook up to this box? If not, would the cables that come with this box hook up to my motor?

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Take a look at what you have, but more than likely it will.

gahunter706

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Take a look at what you have, but more than likely it will.

Thanks. I won't be able to look at my control box until next weekend, so I was hoping somebody could tell me if it would fit. Do you know if the control hook ups have changed between 1998 and newer mercurys? I'm not sure what year this control box came off of, but it appears to be a few years newer.