Mercury control box question

CV16

Chief Petty Officer
I'm trying to piece together a bass boat. I'm missing the detent pin(I think that's what you'd call it) in the control box. The thing that lets you know when you hit neutral. Can anybody let me know what diameter that pin would be? I really don't know what year the control box is that I plan on useing, but I do have the original one that is also missing the same part. The motor is a 1966 850. The controls that were with that motor is white, the one I want to use looks the same, but it's black. All the internals look the same, so I figure the pin should be the same as well. I could go the trial and error method, but I figured I'd ask here first and get the size right the first time!

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: Mercury control box question

If you post a picture of it I may be able to give you a part number and some times it has a size in the merc break down.

CV16

Chief Petty Officer

If I had one to take a picture of, I wouldn't need one!

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Well lets see they make about 20 different control boxes, but then never mind.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Yea, its a roller and it looks like you can still order it from a dealer, and that is what I would do. It dosnt say what size it is. I used to have one of those controllers. Contact a local dealer you can often save shipping charges.

CV16

Chief Petty Officer

When I first asked the question, I didn't even think that the part would still be available. I refuse to go the my localm dealer, they are about as rude as I have ever seen. They refused to order parts for me, told me just to buy a new motor. They said the 1966 wasn't worth fixing, they won't bother looking up parts. I will just go the trial and error method I guess.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Mercury often uses common parts across several years or things so you just don't know till you look, and you can also use a part number in a web search browser to locate New Old Stock = NOS. Its to bad your dealer isnt much but sadly its common these days but they wont stay in business long. Its repeat customer that keep the doors open.. I have a great dealer and they often will put my order in with their big once a week shipment and not charge me shipping.

CV16

Chief Petty Officer

Our dealer has been around for a long time. They have lost many customers in the last 10 years after the one guy that really knew his stuff and would take care of any motor retired. Now it seems like they are only interrested in selling new motors. I know all my motors are old, but they still run pretty good. When I first got it I wanted to rebuild the carbs and fuel pump. The dealer only carried 1 carb kit in stock. I had to order the other 2. A few years later I got a 1973 1500. The dealer had 1 carb kit again. I asked why they didn't carry at least 3 seeing as how almost every inline 6 has 3 carbs(if not all, not sure as I only havbe 2). The guy looked at me like I was from Mars. HE said he had some on order and I could pick them up on Tuesday. Well, Tuesday came and they got one more kit, still needed another one. When I asked again why he didn't just order 3 for stock, he said most people only need 1. When I wanted, well, really needed to change my impeller, he didn't even carry the QuickSilver brand, had to go with Sierra. I prefer to use Merc parts when I can. As a Merc dealer, he should try to sell only Merc parts when he can! I will not even walk through the doors there, even if they are selling new motors for $100. I figured I caould just make the roller at work, I am a machinist, wouldn't be a problem. I just wanted to make it right the first time. I'll do it in the next few days and get one close enough to work.

Last edited:

carholme

Rear Admiral

The pin measures:

.3125" diameter

.5460" length with slightly bevelled edges at each end.

Gerry

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Over the years I have had a lot of old motors In fact the one I have now is the newest I have ever owned and its a 1996, new dose not mean better it just means more expensive parts.

CV16

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Gerry, I'll be making one tonight(3rd shift).

My newest motor is my 73. I do keep my dads 83 25hp Merc going for him though. As far as more expensive parts for newer motors go, try a dist. cap for my 66! Poinjts and condensers weren't cheep either!

CV16

Chief Petty Officer

So, I see the sign out front of my local Merc dealer. They are shutting down as of the 31st. Seems that the way the guy tried to do business didn't work out. It's sad, it's right on Lake Michigan, lots of boaters in the area. Right smack inbetween Milwaukee and Chicago, you really have to work hard to make that place fail! Just a few years ago, the service department was busy all season long. The last few years almost nobody would bring their boat there. If one of the local marinas doesn't start dealing in Mercury, I might just have to open my own place!

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Poor service kills any business and these days when money is tight and boating is a pure pleasure sport, it will close a dealer fast. I am very lucky I have at least 8 dealers with in a 30 minute drive and have done business with all of them. But I end up dealing with the one who also happens to own the marina I slip my boat at. Its a 9.9 lake and the dealer keeps a lot of 9.9 motor parts in stock, but they also service ever thing. But they do a excellent job on service.