Quicksilver 3000 throttle only button stuck

WarchiefSwan

Recruit
New to the forum, hello to all. Hate to start a forum with a problem question. I'm new to boating. Best friend from childhood, friends since 1978, (man, I miss the 70's), but the music is still the best, anyway. I get the pleasure of riding on his, I don't yet own one, but hope to soon. 1996 30 foot Suntracker Pantoon, with outboard engine. Quicksilver 3000 shifter assembly. Throttle only button stuck in. I lubricated the inner spring first, didnt work. The shifter will move forward, and reversed. In full reverse, if you turn the key a few times, engine starts, but in gear, so have to immediately shut off. Pulled button out with small flathead, (while shifter was in neutral), and nothing looked broke on the plastic button, or it's shaft, with the mushroomed end. Reinstalled, and button goes in, but will not pop back out, like it's designed. Anyone have experience, on what direction I should go in? Thx, in advance, for any advice. Just trying to help a friend out. I worked in service in the automotive world for 35 years, but like I aforementioned, I am new to the boating world.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

use the handle of a screw-driver to tap the base of the shifter assembly. many times that works enough to get the button to come out