breaking remote cables.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
I've been having trouble with my remote control cables on my kicker since forever , like bending and breaking them at the engine end . Using a kicker bracket I can only have them with the bracket all the way down. I am wondering if there is any setup where the cable goes at a 90 degree angle upward instead of going straight forward and then bending away. Maybe there is some trick or maybe hydraulic remote cables have a 90 degree angle that can be used?
If you know of any solution for this problem, I would love to read about it.
Thank you,rolmops

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Sounds like the cables may be too short and are strained when the kicker is lowered. Got any pics of the kicker/cable routing?

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Thank you for the answer,but there is 2 feet to spare on the cables. The main problem is the closeness of the kicker to the boat when the bracket is up. I've tried with a hole going straight out of the transom, with an offset hole from the top and with a straight line from the top. The problem always happens when I raise the bracket. It gets too close to the transom. Raising the kicker is necessary because otherwise the kicker prop is in the water when I go on plane And I do not want the prop to spin at 26 mph. I keep on thinking :" If only I could use hydraulic cables with a 90 so the cable will go straight up".

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You need a service loop.

From kicker, go fwd and up, do a complete 360 degree loop before heading into boat. Radius of loop needs to be about 8" or more.

Bondo

Staff member
The problem always happens when I raise the bracket. It gets too close to the transom

Ayuh,.... Got a picture,..??

Space out the bracket, 2", 4", 6", whatever ya need for clearance,...

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Sorry Bondo, I could not get a picture to transfer onto the post. That is not because of the site, but because I am a technological Neanderthaler.
I carefully read all the suggestions and tried out some stuff with some old cables. Where 18 foot cables seemed way too much, it turned out that using a service loop with 19 foot cables may solve the problem. I ordered a set of 19 footers and once they are on the boat I will let you all know how it worked out.
Thank you again for the suggestions. Cornelis.