Attaching Steering Cable to Outboard Motor

Isa4325

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How does a steering cable attach to a outboard motor without any holes for the center support and grease fittings????????
Sorry for the dim question buy I am in a quander.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
It would help if we knew the age and hp of the motor.

And is this a single steering cable system, or a 40+ year old pulley system?

sogood

Petty Officer 1st Class
On my previous 30hp Yamaha outboard, the steering ram was attached to the motor directly. The solid ram had a hole through the end which was bolted through a bracket that fitted onto the "handle" at the front of the motor. This handle is running horizontally just below the cowling. The bracket was stainless steel and it was how the motor came. It looked like something that was done by a previous owner.

​There was no actual steering arm on the ram/steering, so there was always a little bit of slop in the steering, but I got used to it. Maybe something similar might work for you?

Isa4325

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It would help if we knew the age and hp of the motor.

And is this a single steering cable system, or a 40+ year old pulley system?

1973 Chrysler 70 Magnapower, single steering cable. All I have is cable and end, nothing else.

Isa4325

Petty Officer 2nd Class
On my previous 30hp Yamaha outboard, the steering ram was attached to the motor directly. The solid ram had a hole through the end which was bolted through a bracket that fitted onto the "handle" at the front of the motor. This handle is running horizontally just below the cowling. The bracket was stainless steel and it was how the motor came. It looked like something that was done by a previous owner.

​There was no actual steering arm on the ram/steering, so there was always a little bit of slop in the steering, but I got used to it. Maybe something similar might work for you?

There would half to be a bracket of some king to attach the steering cable housing end to.

Isa4325

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Pictures would be vary helpful at this time, please.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
You are allowed to upload photos after 3 posts, you now have 6.

Part of the issue here is miscommunication, which we hope the photos will clear up.

For example, what is a "steering cable housing" ?

If your cable goes through the tilt tube on the motor, you will need the appropriate "link arm" to connect the end of the cable to the front of the motor.

http://www.iboats.com/T-R-Steering-L...-view_id.40158

If your cable does not go through the tilt tube, you will need to anchor the cable to the splash well or transom, with a mounting kit.

1-sa27055p_2.jpg.

http://www.iboats.com/Steering-Acces...-view_id.47748

Isa4325

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You are allowed to upload photos after 3 posts, you now have 6.

Part of the issue here is miscommunication, which we hope the photos will clear up.

For example, what is a "steering cable housing" ?

If your cable goes through the tilt tube on the motor, you will need the appropriate "link arm" to connect the end of the cable to the front of the motor.

http://www.iboats.com/T-R-Steering-L...-view_id.40158

If your cable does not go through the tilt tube, you will need to anchor the cable to the splash well or transom, with a mounting kit.

http://www.iboats.com/Steering-Acces...-view_id.47748

Pictures coming: I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Isa4325

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Attachments

• photo279007.jpg
    photo279007.jpg
    361 KB · Views: 0
  • photo279008.jpg
    photo279008.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 0
  • photo279009.jpg
    photo279009.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 0

Isa4325

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Would this kit work?

Attachments

• photo279010.jpg
    photo279010.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 0

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
You will probably need a ball joint swivel to attach the cable end to the motor.
This allows for movement without binding when you tilt the motor.

Also, you may need to put a spacer ( 2x4 or something similar ) between the transom and the steering cable mounting bracket.
Just make sure that the motor can be turned fully to both the left and right without striking the motor swivel.

let us know how it all works out for you.