Some one school me on hydraulic manual steering

dohcdelsol93

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Looking to build a custom manual hydraulic steering system for a 25 ft fly bridge dual helm boat. 5.7 with alpha drive.

Is this boat too big for manual hydro steer? Should i build it with the power assist? Looking to keep it simple and functional, this old boat isnt worth much, just a floating weekend fishing get away.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
your boat has power assist now with the cable steering. why would you go backwards

what problem are you having that makes you want to re-invent the wheel so-to-speak

dohcdelsol93

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The cables run from bridge to cabin then to rack of some sort. The cable is rusting anx separating on the helm side and on the engine side being held together with rusty vice grips. Looking at some kits maybe 1800 for an entire kit

I was thinking new cables would be 1000 to 1500

It wont let me post pics from my ohine, says its too big

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
a new dual helm rack and pinion system is like $250. $400 for dual no-feedback systems. that is both helms and cables. where the flock are you shopping that your looking at $1000-$1500.

your pics need to be around 400k in size

dohcdelsol93

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ill gladly email pics to you to show what i have.

Where do can i get them for 400? I need one. Im wanting to replace everything while gutting the interior