Loose shifter handle, Merc 60hp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loose shifter handle, Merc 60hp

Hello everyone - I don't post very often but can anyone tell me how to tighten up my shifter? Everything works fine, but the shifter handle is really loose. There are three large philis head screws on the assembly but I'm afraid to teake them out. One of them just spins.

Thanks,

Chris

What do you mean by really loose? The handle or the whole control?

The 3 screws (e) hold the control to the side panel. If one of those is spinning, the nut in the spacer is not secure. Try wedging a thin screwdriver between the control and spacer to jam the nut, then try removing the screw.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mercrc.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	278438

Attached Files
    BOAT SPECS FORUM HELP STARCRAFT FORUM SHOP iboats
    Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
    That is what the forums are for.
    Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Thanks. Will give it a try. I'm worried that I'm working with blind nuts. Why aren't these caprive on the other side? How will I get them back on? There is no way that I can see to access behind the controller.

What I meant by loose is that there is quite a lot of slop side-to-side...ie perpendicular to the fwd/rev direction.
      Last edited by CharlieZulu; October 4th, 2017, 04:30 PM. Reason: More info.

Comment

The nuts are captive in the mounting spacer. The spacer is attached to the side panel and the nuts are held in place between the spacer and side panel. I'm hoping the space is still in place, hard to tell in the pic. If you have no spacer, then the control is held on with tee-nuts or similar in the side panel. Try the pry trick with the screwdriver.

The side to side slop - Is only the handle moving or the whole control?

Comment

Yes, it's just the handle that's loose. I will try getting those screws out today, thanks.

After I do, I'm sure it will be obvious why the handle is so loose.

Comment

No go. I guess I'll have to call Lund directly. The three screws just spin (left or right, doesn't matter). It would appear that the next step is to take the whole boat apart. The box that holds the shifter assembly has to come out I guess.

What kind of bird brain design is this???? What I'm worried about is one day that shifter coming right off and then I have no control.

Comment

Take out the cup holder and stick your hand in there with a crescent wrench or probably a 1/2" or 7/16" combination wrench.

Comment

Brilliant!!!!!! Thanks vey much - mission accomplished. The bolt that holds the shifter handle on was indeed pretty loose.

All goid mow, thanks to iBoats.

Comment

Too bad the 2nd pic wasn't the 1st pic. Too often we zoom in with our pics and a picture from further back is better to see more.

Glad you got it!

Comment

Working...
                  X