Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VP 5.7 GS PWTR Power steering fluid leak issue

Hey guys,
    Looking for some feedback. My power steering fluid reservoir was low, had not checked in a long time. Purchased and added Volvo fluid up to fill cold line. Took boat out, excessive whine when turning counter clockwise. At idle turned steering wheel counter clockwise and wheel shuddered , turned opposite way and the jerking wheel issue stopped.

Returned to marina and while backing into slip got some wheel shudder again i believe when i went counter to steer. Checked reservoir and it was near or pretty much empty and found fluid in bilge. Have had biat now entering 6th year, a 2000 Doral 250SE. I am assuming a hose or fitting has blown, trying to track the line from reservoir under engine. Is it likely the notor is shot and i will need new power steering pump? I checked fleabay and found reman units w warranty for 24 mth, reservoir incl, or should i go original Volvo part.

Looking for feedback from those who are familar and can point out what i should check next.
    Thanks
    CK

Could be any part in the system, so need to find out what part is leaking. Clean everything, fill pump, start motor and start turning wheel.
    94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
    95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
    07 SeaDoo GTX
    Raw Water Pump Maintenance
    Merc Adults Only

Comment

Originally posted by AllDodge View Post
      Could be any part in the system, so need to find out what part is leaking. Clean everything, fill pump, start motor and start turning wheel.
      That is my first step. I agree and am wondering if it could be the power steering cooler leaking fluid into the cooling system. However i am getting what was the remaining atf fluid in bilge, being reddish in colour but the volvo fluid is clear. I need a second person si i can track leak because i cant find it solo and nothing is showing signs.

The wheel shuddering, is that due to fact of it running dry and wonder what odds are pump is shot?

Comment

Pump can burn up if run dry but its a toss up. I wouldn't replace until leak is fix and then see if it still works
        07 SeaDoo GTX
        Merc Adults Only

Comment

Pump can burn up if run dry but its a toss up. I wouldn't replace until leak is fix and then see if it still works

I agree, in next couple days will; have a second hand help and can see where it is leaking whether it may be the power steering cooler which is basically a heat exchanger cooled by water or if the pump or a line. Something tells me it will be the heat exchanger similar to when I lost my bus heater core and was leaking coolant into bilge. I hope the ps unit is not toast. How are the reman options vs oem?

Comment

Many of the older cooler hoses use simple hose clamps which hold them in place. Over time the hoses gets brittle and they crack
            07 SeaDoo GTX
            Merc Adults Only

Comment

Well today found the leak, power steering cooler and fuel pump both leaking so will order the power steering pump alone with seals and reuse the reservoir, found the power steering cooler at Mr Cool. Also believe I have to do circ pump as well as it seems to be weeping and coolant has been leakin

Comment

Make sure to keep the valve that comes off the pump. The valve is where the line screws into. The valve for the marine pump is higher pressure then the automotive one. Pumps are the same, its just the valve that is different
                07 SeaDoo GTX
                Merc Adults Only

Comment

Make sure to keep the valve that comes off the pump. The valve is where the line screws into. The valve for the marine pump is higher pressure then the automotive one. Pumps are the same, its just the valve that is different
                  Thanks for tip, planned to do that. I ordered a reman ps pump alone, will reuse my reservoir, doubles of o rings included. Just going over the issues of all parts install. Circ pump is a new Sierra tripled checked part numbers for all, lol. Expecting em all this week and hopefully get to PS cooler.

Question, when one removes the water lines in PS cooler, will I need to clamp/bung those off if changing in the water in slip? I am thinking that only some water will escape but not keep coming since hoses are above water line correct?

Comment

The PS cooler should be on top the rear of the motor, and if it is then there will be no issue with flooding the boat
                    07 SeaDoo GTX
                    Merc Adults Only

Comment

The PS cooler should be on top the rear of the motor, and if it is then there will be no issue with flooding the boat
                      Great, and yes it is at back of engine on top! Looking forward to parts coming in. Appreciate the feedback. Also want to find a manual for my 5.7GS WT. Off to search... got a manual I am all good
                      Last edited by ciscokidd; October 11th, 2017, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X