Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Store Links Mobile - Shop Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

use a 12v linear actuator to steer my kicker motor Mercury 8hp?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• use a 12v linear actuator to steer my kicker motor Mercury 8hp?

Bought a kicker motor mercury 2011 8hp 4 cycles. It will be mounted on a kicker motor bracket so I need a remote control to steer this motor. Does anybody have done this?
    how many pounds and hong long do I need?

I am thinking about buying a $70 wireless ($40 for wired) control 6" linear actuator with 330 pounds push from ebay to use this steering for trolling in the bay for stripe bass fishing - just not sure whether I need more power? 700 pounds for example.

ok I found some 1000 pound linear actuator for only $70 on ebay

Comment

Hook up a fish scale to the tiller close to the motor and see how much force is needed to turn the motor. 300# is probably too much and a 1000 lb'er is for sure.

How are you going to control the stroke of the actuator?
      BOAT SPECS FORUM HELP STARCRAFT FORUM SHOP iboats
      Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
      That is what the forums are for.
      Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

I don't think they would be very waterproof at that price, do they quote an IP rating?

Comment

I don't think it is waterproof. I think I will do a DIY version of the EZ-steer. something similar to this guy have. Mine is 2 outboards so much easier than his in/out board with kicker - http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...eer-connection

Looks pretty straight forward - a few screws, hose clamps, quick disconnect ball joints.

I will do a wired throttle control using Arduino uno 3 and some steel cable and servo motor to control the throttle link arm of some sort mimicking ControlKing and Trollmaster They are just like the EZ-steer $200+ each system.

Man, adding a kicker is super expensive.

Comment

this guy got everything spelled out to make one for the outboard throttle control box - Outboard Motor Throttle Controller GPL3+

Allows precise control of the throttle speed and the ability to run pre-programmed trolling routines.
            https://create.arduino.cc/projecthub...troller-4edfd5

Comment

Working...
            X