1996 Grady White, Steering play, upgrade options?

toddgatesh

Recruit
I've got a 96 Grady White 192 Tournament. The steering has developed a lot of play over time, nothing has come loose, just too much play. Can you recommend a replacement steering apparatus or maybe there is a steering upgrade that would work great with my boat? Standard rack and pinion steering with cable, all factory.
Are there tighter steering systems now or simple upgrades? Hard to stay on course in a quartering sea, annoying.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Is this an Outboard powered hull,..?? Which outboard,..??

Have ya Looked to see where the slop has developed,..??

No sense in swappin' the steerin' gear, if the swivel tube on the outboard is the real problem,....

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I've been playing with the idea of putting a Seastar hydraulic system on my 226 for a while now.

The OEM steering is loose but not that bad. Maybe 20 degree slop. Not binding or anything

Just can get my head around spending $1200 to replace a $199 steering cable

crowebar

Seaman Apprentice
The Seastar system is worth every penny. I had the issue forced on me when one of my dual cable Detmar cables started to seize up. Detmar is out of business and my only option was a complete new system. Had I know how much better the Seastar would perform I would have done it long ago. No more steering torque even if the motor is trimmed all the way up! It makes the boat way more safe to drive at all speeds and takes a fraction of the effort to steer! I have my system on a 225 Evinrude on a 21 foot Ski Centurion.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Had I know how much better the Seastar would perform I would have done it long ago..
They preform well until they start leaking. Pretty common problem.
Its not if, it's when they leak...