1988 Force 85 hp controls

KD5EXP

Cadet
Bought a pontoon boat and working on getting it fixed up for fishing. I was having trouble with the controls where when you put it in forward in was giving it a little gas before going into gear. Then reverse came in way to quick. No adjustments left to play with. This is a Force with a Mercury controller. I don't have much history on the boat but this is not the original motor but most likely the original controls. Everything would have been fine if I would have know what was going on and I could have shortened the shifter cable 1/4 inche and would have worked. Well I broke the release to give it throttle when not it gear, plastic, and can't find another. I bought another controller, Mercury, and the shift cable had the same problem. I shortened the cable and it worked fine. Well the throttle cable was to long and I decided to shorten is too. Got it all together and the throttle was backwards. I need a push instead of a pull. I have found another that is suppose to be for a Force and I hope it is right. Never know what you get when you buy one of these old boats. 28 ft Sun Tracker Party Barge. Any ideas ?