Controls for a 1957 Johnson FD-11

edit-Insert

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 14' runabout. At one time it used a cable pulley steering system. Pullies are still in place. I pulled an old merc 500 off it. So there is the steering for that available to adapt. I also have throttle and shift cables for the merc. I will be dismantling those and lubing those up. The motor has all bracketry installed for controls. But I think pulley steering was utilized and I'm unsure how throttle and shift was done. I found another post on steering parts but evinrude only went back to the 70's. I'm good enough to rig my own pulley steering if need be, but something tells me I just need to properly connect the merc controls and I'll have a legit system in place.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Sell the merc controls and get Jonson/Evinrude controls for your motor

edit-Insert

Seaman Apprentice
I like how you suggest the 'keep it simple stupid' method, without calling me stupid. Lol not sure why I tried to overthink this. Great idea Sir.

Mod EDIT: offer removed

About the controls, the choke button is stuck. I haven't pulled it apart yet to see if I can clean and lube everything to call it good working order. Also, there is a website for motors back to the 70's to order these things. But nothing I can find specific for my motor so I figured I would have to do modification anyway. Which is why I planned on trying to use the merc controls.

Haha the wife left as I posted this. I'm gonna run down now and peek at the connectors to see if it's even in the realm of possibilities.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
this isnt a buy and sell site. so ebay or craigslist are your choices

edit-Insert

Seaman Apprentice
Here are 4 photos I've take of controls. I haven't done anything to them other than adjust the cylindrical but to length. Maybe these are Johnson controls that were adjusted for the merc 500

This might take a minute I have to resize photos on a phone

jbcurt00

Staff member
Sales, offers and giveaways arent permitted, so some content has been removed.

You can post more then 1 pix per post.

Used controls are probably your best option for a 1957 motor, so ebay and craigs. Might try the AOMCI classifieds.

edit-Insert

Seaman Apprentice
Does anyone have an FD-11 or similar on cable steering so I can see a close up of the connections? I want to have a better understanding of how it will work.