Cable for Sea Nymph Sidewinder 175

zettler

Cadet
Forgive my ignorance and asking here but I have a 1988 Sea Nymph Sidewinder 175 boat with a 70HP Mercury outboard and the steering cable is in serious need of replacement. I mean serious.

HOWEVER, being retired now, means I need to do things a little differently and I am considering replacing it with help BUT I have no idea what cable to even order.

Can anyone point me in the right direction On what cable and where to order one?

Much appreciation in advance.

Yegboats

Chief Petty Officer
look for a number on the plastic jacket. If its rotary if you get a new style cable for your existing helm you may have to get a qc adapter. Honestly I would usually just buy the whole kit including the helm and call it a day. They're usually not that much more.

zettler

Cadet
look for a number on the plastic jacket. If its rotary if you get a new style cable for your existing helm you may have to get a qc adapter. Honestly I would usually just buy the whole kit including the helm and call it a day. They're usually not that much more.
Wow.
I still haven't got this fixed and have it at friends now to finally to do so.

Do you or anyone know what you/the responder mean by a "whole kit"??

I need to order the parts soon AFTER he gets me the length and hopefully the number off the cable's plastic jacket.

All assistance is appreciated...

PS..The boat hasn't been on the water for more than two years...so we have a few things to do.

Thank you.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,........ or back anyways,......
For just a few dollars more, buy a Helm, 'n Cable Kit,...

Helms wear too, 'n you'll know for sure that the new cable fits the helm,......
There's been a few different ways the cable connects to the helm over the years,.....

zettler

Cadet
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,........ or back anyways,......
For just a few dollars more, buy a Helm, 'n Cable Kit,...

Helms wear too, 'n you'll know for sure that the new cable fits the helm,......
There's been a few different ways the cable connects to the helm over the years,.....
Thank you for your feedback.

We got the cable off and could not find any marking to indicate part number, etc.

When measured, I was told it is 13' 5.5".

So when I look online, I do not see any that size, just 13' and 14'.

Are we measuring wrong?

I can call LOWE tomorrow and see but they might not even know...

Thank you all again.

zettler

Cadet
It’s getting Very confusing…

I took the old cable to a Marine repair/parts shop and they actually found a serial number, or partial one. The cable is a HI-LEX 13 foot cable AND They recommended ordering a SAFE-T QC SINGLE CABLE ROTARY STEERING SYSTEM #SS13713 (#40611063).

Then I had already reached out to SeaStar and they finally late Friday called back and said, NO, I need to order a different Steering cable kit - SS14713 STEERING KIT, NO FEEDBACK (4.2 ROTARY STEERING SYSTEM.

Again, all the recommendations come from entities who haven’t seen the boat BUT at least the first person saw the cable. Now my friend who is doing the repair says that neither of the two cable steering kits appear to have cable end that has like a “T” end - and maybe that’s not necessary IF YOU USE THE KIT???

The old cable had a number of cracks in the outside cover and was unmovable. Here are pictures of the cable end below.

So I need a NEW STEERING CABLE and I agree that a kit makes sense BUT I’ve got to choose between the one recommended by the Marine Repair Shop.

One recommended by the manufacturer (SeaStar).

AND I reached out to Lowe Boats late Friday and they came back at me and said that their people agreed with what the marine Repair Shop suggested. ..

And my buddy is concerned that none of the recommended cables (or steering cable kitshas what he calls a “T” at the end of the cable that goes into the steering wheel area like what you see in the picture below…

I asked Lowe to recheck their recommendation and hopefully say something tomorrow…

Finally, my buddy said that when he removed the cable it used pop rivets that he had to grind off AND HE NOTES THE KITS both have bolts where the OEM busted cable was riveted.

Thoughts anyone?

Is there anyone else I should consult with at a different forum?

Thank you all in advance.

Attachments

• 0FA3DD27-7B94-4FCF-AB82-5F85B5E80119.jpeg
    0FA3DD27-7B94-4FCF-AB82-5F85B5E80119.jpeg
    116.7 KB · Views: 1
  • A3C12E09-2FE3-4095-B445-1111F4F1D6B9.jpeg
    A3C12E09-2FE3-4095-B445-1111F4F1D6B9.jpeg
    203.4 KB · Views: 1

zettler

Cadet
I finally got input from not only vendors and manufacturers but also Lowe Boats too. Ordered part and the kit will be delivered tomorrow.

It was confusing until I talked to a person at Marine Source Parts. He was very helpful.

zettler

Cadet
Just a final update...hopefully.

My friend got the cable installed last Fall and has been performing assorted tasks to get the boat and motor on the water.

And, today, he got it on the water and it all ran well until he realized it was taking on water. I believe he failed to plus the fish aerator intake as its been busted for a long time - mice ate the hose under the decking.

Anyway, just wanted to thank you all for your input, assistance and patience. - THANK YOU.

ONE OTHER THING.

Does anyone know where I could obtain an electronic owners guide for this boat - not the motor - just the boat itself?

Thank you I'm advance.

Bob