Adding a steering console to 16' Jon

reidwas

Recruit
Hi fellas,
I am going to add a steering console to a 16' Low Jon boat. I have been digging through google searches and youtube, but havent found any good advice, or videos on the subject. I bought an aluminium console off of craigslist that was on another jon boat and just want to simply attach it to the boat. Does anyone have experience with this? Not sure if I should weld or bolt or rivet. I am especially concerned with how they attach it on the bottom of the boat. Anyone know what they do at the factory, or does anyone have an advice, it would be much appreciated. Thanks guys!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
:welcome: aboard reidwas. Nice to have you join us...

If you could post a picture or three of both the boat and the console so we can see what you are working with. That way we can offer the better suggestions and ideas for you to choose from.

Not seeing anything, I would think (maybe wrongly, who knows) that riveting the console would be the better idea. That way if you later decide to remove it, you can simple drill out the rivets and plug the holes.

You could go to the local marine and see what they do from the factory models. Welding is a good idea as well, but unless you have the equipment to properly weld aluminum, I don't see that as a very cheap option. JMHO

You have probably already completed this, but I had a utility Lowe with a console added to it and everything was riveted.