Control removal

Ontheway

Cadet
I have a 2005 Larson SEI 180, with a Volvo Penta 4.3, drive is SX-M. I need to replace the shift cable, but first I must remove the control from its side mount position. Don't want to put too much pressure on the plastic cover to access the mounting bolts and I need help/advice on how to remove the control. I have very limited access to the backside because of the design and molding on the boat.
I can't add pics yet because I haven't posted enough. Help please!

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Make a couple of more posts so you can put up a pic of it. Just post any old thing.

Ontheway

Cadet
Here is pic finally, no visible screws and I've read on some the small neutral button must be pryed out, handle removed then plastic cover. This button appears very snug. Tried to upload, still telling me I can't. Have 3 posts now. Will log out, back in and c if pic will be authorized.

Last edited:

Ontheway

Cadet
Ok 4 posts now, trying again to post pic.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    91.4 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    76.7 KB · Views: 2

Ontheway

Cadet
Here is backside of control arm

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    50.1 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    52.5 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    57.9 KB · Views: 1

Ontheway

Cadet
Another odd thing is shift cable is adjusted almost full thread both at control and at rear, SX-M.

Ontheway

Cadet
No Title

Shucks, I was sure hoping someone had worked on their control (Shift/Throttle) and had taken one off the side. I'll keep hoping. I found a shop 55 miles south of me that works on Larson's, can't get me in for 4 weeks so no boating for me.

Attachments

• photo273900.jpeg
    photo273900.jpeg
    51.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo273901.jpeg
    photo273901.jpeg
    68.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo273902.jpeg
    photo273902.jpeg
    159 KB · Views: 0

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
She looks good! I haven't had to take my shifter off so I can't offer any assistance.

Ontheway

Cadet
If anyone has this control and is having a problem getting it off the side to remove cables, use a small screw driver to pop out small rubber neutral cover. Take out rod, then remove nut, 17mm, and the fun starts. I'll post more as I go, take pics as it comes apart, I have no manual.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
By the time you are done you will be able to write your own manual. :)

Ontheway

Cadet
Pain in you know what getting old cable out, but it's done and new cable back in. Concern is the 3300 cable hook up at each end. Had to screw the pivot cube all the way on both ends to get neutral. It shifts a tiny bit over for reverse and slightly short for forward. Tried one screw turn on pivot cube, each end separately, and couldn't get the shift lever in detent neutral position. Shifts much smoother now and even being slightly off on each end, gets both gears OK. I'm going to button up and test in water, taking my trolling motor though, LOL.
Next project is replacing shift/throttle control.