Starting from scratch

Naturalway

Recruit
I have a 24' pontoon, new deck but that's it. Clean slate. Use to have inboard 120hp, it's gone. I am going to put @120 outboard. My thoughts are possibly getting an existing motor / controls to match up but may have to get piece by piece. to Will be making new console so my questions are as follows:
Can I get a generic throttle and shifter cable to install on a motor?
If I could go generic where can I get them?
Thanks in advance.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

What 120 HP outboard? There are universal controls, but the cables will have to match the motor.

What are you doing to beef up the transom/pod for the I/O to OB conversion?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
It can all be done easily, so don't worry about that aspect of it, there are other, more urgent decisions to make on the conversation first.

Naturalway

Recruit
I am looking for an engine now. Not sure exact one it is just whatever I find and afford. I am beefing up transom with 1/4" aluminum (in addition to the already 1/4" there. So you said that the cables , throttle/ shift can be attached to a universal control, obviously as long as the cables are specific to the motor.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Your motor is going to fall off. It needs more than 1/2" of aluminum.

It depends on the cables, some use adapters on the ends to match the motor. A universal control often needs adapters for the control ends.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
When going to a universal remote control, you can adapt them to most any engine setup. However, as with everything, the pivot points on a control has to be able to move a full operational movement at the engine side. That can be done by either moving the attachment point closer or further away from the pivot to get a full travel ability. Probably sounds more complicated then actually is.

What I am trying to say is the movement of any control at the helm has to be set to the required movement to whatever you will be controlling. Otherwise if it is too short a throw, you wouldn't get fully throttle range or not go into gears properly, whatever the case may be. If the throw is too long, you will have limited range at the remote control unit.

So the closer you can make the universal range to the engine needs, the better. And of course you will need to adapt the cable ends for whatever type engine you decide on, to get it to function properly, but more important safely. JMHO

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I am looking for an engine now. Not sure exact one it is just whatever I find and afford. I am beefing up transom with 1/4" aluminum (in addition to the already 1/4" there. So you said that the cables , throttle/ shift can be attached to a universal control, obviously as long as the cables are specific to the motor.

​If you don't currently have the motor, then don't worry about controls, frequently people will give you the controls with the motor you buy, plus all of it can be sorted out after you get the motor.