Steering on a 1962 larson

Rayreiser

Recruit
Hey everyone. So I am very new to the boating world. I just bought a 1962 Larson with an evinrude motor. Currently I am trying to figure out how to restore the steering. It had an old cable and pulley steering system in it. I have been looking at the teleflex rotary steering systems. Just trying to get some input on whether I would be able to convert or not. Thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if your not going to re power, simply keep the existing cable and pulley system. you can get new cable for about $20

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

The boat in my sig has cable and pulley steering. The cable was replaced and it works like new after also lubing the pulleys.

If you decide to go with a rotary system, depending on if your motor has a tilt tube or not, will determine what other parts are needed. If you have a tilt tube, you need a steering link arm. No tilt tube, you need a transom support/clamp block.

I would stay with the cable and pulley system. Approximately 20 bucks vs about 300 bucks - your choice. Here's a pic of what is needed at the motor end to add a rotary helm;

steering.PNG