STEERING ISSUE

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer
Something is wrong with my steering, as I am steering boat I am compensating for veering every second....the boat will not run straight...the veering is driving me nuts...When I'm out on my friends boats, he can take his hands off his steering wheel and his boat will ride straight for about 15 sec before touches the steering again...I am constantly playing with the steering wheel right and left does anyone know why the boat is veering so much...

Thanks, MAV

alldodge

Staff member
How much play do you have in the wheel, without the drive moving?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Same boat same steering setup as your buddy? Unless exactly the same, yours vs his will likely be somewhat different

What boat
I/O or OB
What type of steering
Does it wander at all speeds

And ADs question above

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer
I don't have any play in the steering wheel, the motor is quick to respond to my movement of the wheel, it like the motor is veering off on it own...then i would have try to keep it straight...

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer
No I do not have the same setup, but I have owns many, many bass boat and never had this issue...I could be going at wake speed and I'm all over the place I can go 2 yards without making adjustments...No I just brought this motor and put it on my boat...I only had it out twice....

Fed

Commander
I'm betting the back of the boat is heavily weighed down but it's hard to know for sure as the boat & motor are a secret.

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for your response...I have 1989 19.5 Nitro Bass Boat with a 1986 Evinrude 120hp....Now I do have 4 batteries in the rear, 2 for starting and 2 for trolling 24v..But I did notice the front of the boat going on plane, raises very high in the sky...but I didn't think having 4 batteries in the rear of a 19.5 would cause any issues..The skeg is fine, but the tab is off centered..But what could be lose...

Thanks Mav

alldodge

Staff member
But what could be lose...

Don't know, need to look for things between the wheel and motor. Cable, motor pivot pin, motor clamps :noidea:

At what speed does it start?

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer
It starts at very low speeds....As I was trying to figure this out....inorder for the motor to move on its onn, there has to be some kinds play in the cable...Whan I start the motor, the motor is boobing left to right...I was thinking this was just the vibration of the motor.... ..But as I took it out yesterday, even while on plane I noticed that the motor was still boobing left to right....and I find myself compensating every second. should the motor be boobing like that.....

alldodge

Staff member
should the motor be boobing like that.....

No it should not do this. Could be the cable or anything else which attaches the cable to the motor, or attach the motor to the boat

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Just to get clarification...when you say "bobbing" (I assume that's the word you mean), do you mean it is pivoting left and right in a "regular arc", kind of as if you were making small back and forth turns of the steering wheel? Or is it oscillating / jiggling around more "randomly", as if it was just plain loosely mounted to the boat?

If the former, I'd be looking at something in the steering. If the latter, I'd be looking at motor-to-yoke mounts, bolts mounting motor to the transom, and condition of the transom.