Stuck steering cable,which way to turn wheel?

jonny rotten

Petty Officer 1st Class
Changing my steering cable on a Mercruiser. .The stainless rod is stuck in the tube.I've tried PB Blaster and tapping on the end of the rod(everything still connected. No luck. I'm thinking if I can have one person putting force on the steering wheel while another person pulled on the outdrive while I bang on the rod it might help.
Right now the outdrive is in the straight position and the stainless bar is around 3 inches out of the tube.

Which way should the steering be turned/outdrive pulled for the tube to go IN while I beat it?

jonny rotten

Petty Officer 1st Class
Also I have an air chisel. I could put a block of wood over the end of the rod and maybe the quick shots will help loosin it up? Most likely wont help but I'm running out of ideas. The motor is half under the fiberglass and I have about zero room to work or get a good swing on a hammer

jonny rotten

Petty Officer 1st Class
I disconnected the nut on the other side and the steering turns with no effort. Does that mean my cable is fine and the only issue is the stainless rod is stuck in the tube? If I ever get this unstuck do I need a new stainless rod and tube or is there a way to clean inside the tube with the rod removed still attached to the boat?

jonny rotten

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is this part removable? Pic

I'm trying to remove the steering tube so I can work on removing the stuck stainless tube. The only thing holding it on is the this pivot housing that seems to go into the power steering. I took the clevis pin looking nut off but it wont come off. I don't want to break it by prying on.
Is it mean to come off?
If so how do I go about getting it off?
If not is there a way to get the tube off so I can work on it. I have zero room to work on it where it is.
4.3 Mercruiser
Thanks

Attachments

• photo268302.jpg
    photo268302.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 1

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Let's keep this all in one place. And give a chance for folks to see what your problem is.

jonny rotten

Petty Officer 1st Class
Cleaning a tilt tube and stainless rod

Whats the best method to clean up the tube?

I've read and watched using a gun bore cleaner for the tube with carb cleaner. Should that be nylon or metal? what gauge?
I use 100grit(I think) steel wool to clean my motorcycle chrome, would that be good for cleaning the stainless rod? Makes the chrome mirror finish

When its clean would white lithium grease do the trick. Should I spray on the rod AND inside the tube or just the rod.....Thanks

Its a mercruiser. I thought I read they're stainless tilt tubes and outboards are steel but have no idea

Last edited by a moderator:

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just replaced my steering cable in a Sea Ray Sundeck with a power assisted rack and pinion system. The metal tube insert is part of the new cable. It took an hour and 15 minutes, and the new cable cost $137. The boat turns with one pinky now. It was well worth the time and cost to restore it to new condition. as for grease, I used a handful of general purpose wheel bearing grease, and it feels great.