New steering rotary NFB motor not centered

Paddy60

Seaman Apprentice
I replace my old stuck steering with a basic Teleflex NFB rotary system. The motor turns much farther in one direction than the other. A shorter drag link would solve it, I think, But can only assume the travel is different.

Any help would be great.

Paddy60

Seaman Apprentice
GA Boater,

I did read them and followed what I assumed was the correct procedure. But my take on the section with regards to the position of the wheel, is just to center the steering wheel. Such that when the boat is steering straight, the wheel is centered.

I did an experiment; I confirmed the shaft travel with existing drag link rotating to max in both directions. Disconnecting the drag link, nothing changes, travel is the same. Then marking a spot on the drag link at approx 1.5 inches shorter. Still disconnected from motor, I rotate the motor to line up to the mark in both full rotated positions. The motor is now aprox at the same angle in both directions.

Drag links do have adjustment with a jamb nut, but mine is at the minimum length now. The motor is a '75 Johnson, 70 Hp. I had moved the motor and steering from an old boat to my pontoon. It was an old style rack and pinion type, so maybe travel was different

Paddy60

Seaman Apprentice
I called Sea Star and they said it was normal for a motor to turn more in one direction due to "prop wash". Anyone hear this?

Fed

Commander
Get a shorter link to give you equal lock to lock.

Use cable insertion position to get the steering wheel to align straight when the boat is running straight.

Edit: Sea Star didn't understand your problem.

Paddy60

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks Fed

It is odd the Tech support couldn't understand, I said from center it rotates 15 deg one way and stops at approx 45 deg the other way. I'm an engineer and constantly surprised how many customer service folks have no clue.