Steering wheel is getting loose and wobbly

Nilmdts1

Recruit
Sea Ray 180 BR acquired going thru my inspection a few areas of advice needed I'll post in sections they're under unless one of u inquires out of kindness...really pretty simple I'm betting, but steering wheel at helm needs to if possible be tightened down, how? It wobbles up and down and side to side like it has a bolt that's come loose is the cadet guess.
Thx

jbcurt00

Staff member
Does the wheel move on the steering shaft its bolted to or does the whole steering hub assembly move?

Please take note of when a topic was LAST posted to when doing research about your problems and concerns. If its been more then 90days since the original poster replied, please dont post in those topics. They are for research only, not to be posted to, like a library book. I deleted your post in tbe ither steering topic, that member hasnt been back in 2 years, and he's not likely to reply.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
You probably have a rotary helm or a rack & pinion helm. Reach behind the dash with one hand, grab the wheel with other and feel if the housing behind the dash is moving.

If the helm moves, remove the wheel and bezel. Then check the tightness of the two or three bolts holding the helm to the dash.

If it is solid, you need a new helm because the guts of the helm are shot. It is best to buy a new helm and cable kit. The cost of a kit is only a few dollars more than a helm only. Also your steering system will in good shape for years to come.