Uflex B183 single lever control installation

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer
I needed to replace the original equipment control box since a plastic piece wore out and broke in the shift handle. This is on the Bayliner Capri 1950 with Volvo motor and outdrive and Morse 33C cables. These cables looked ok and I think PO replaced them at one point.

I purchased a Uflex single engine control model B133 and installed it today. Not bad directions overall. But I must have screwed something up because I have ignition working fine but it stays in Neutral, meaning no shifting of the transmission no matter if I move the control lever forward or backward. And there doesn't seem to be any way to orient the control lever so that it functions in warm up neutral mode? I couldn't get it to "pull out" like I would expect it to do for warm up only.

I used the configuration in the manual for Pull operation of the Throttle cable since the throttle cable is fully retracted when in the Neutral position and would need to be pulled to open the throttle up. This is working as it should on my test startup.

Directions indicate that correct shift control operation depends on precise adjustment of the shift gear travel? a small diagram in the manual but not clear to me anyway. There are two holes where the transmission cable can be attached: one for 78 mm of travel provided by the control unit and one for less than 78 mm of travel by the lever. Not sure if this is causing my problem or not? I HOOKED It UP ON 78 MM TRAVEL AS IT CAME IN THE PACKAGING.

​So I get ignition in Neutral, no shifting forward or reverse, no Neutral warm up as its set up right now. Any suggestions of what to troubleshoot are appreciated. Last summer I had trouble with the old controller in that there was very little fine adjustment for throttle, as in docking maneuvering and the control felt "loose" generally, which led me to inspect and take apart this season and found the broken part inside. Therefore the new Uflex control.

Thanks.
Joe

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Here is a photo of how I set it up. RED cable is throttle set for the Pull position; BLACK cable is the shifting cable. Both cables functions as they should when not connected to this controller. They both worked with the old controller.

Attachments

• photo267681.JPG
    photo267681.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 1

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer
I am going to try disconnecting both cables at the controller box and set the control to Neutral. I will move the outdrive shifting so that it is definitely in Neutral then go back and connect the shift cable- that should sync up both the drive and control box to Neutral for the shift cable. The throttle cable is easy to see from inside the boat- it is obvious on the carb when the cable has the no fuel position. I can set up the control box for throttle from that image. Hopefully this should work.

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer
Finally got it right. The Outdrive was in F position, once I got that in N and the controller in N the rest was pretty easy.
The controller had a screw on it to inc/dec friction on the lever and that needed to be loosened up a few turns to adjust the mechanism's feel going into and out of gear. F and R work fine now and it locks in N like it should.

​Now to sort out the Neutral warm up: supposed to move the lever outward towards the operator to disengage from shift possibility and do a warmup for a cold start. that would be important on this old Volvo motor which doesn't like cold starts! even with the electronic ignition I installed years ago. This lever will not budge at all at this time.

But this is progress.
Joe

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer
Got it worked out. All gears function fine, Neutral start, and the Neutral warmup position using the lever pulled out from the pivot point but it is unusually difficult to get it to do that. Maybe the grease just needs to work into that a little bit with use. Can finally get on the water tomorrow! Joe