Older 115 HP Mercury Outboard Steering Frozen

kermitismydaddy

Recruit
Hello Everyone!

I have had a few boats in my day but never worked on them very much. Today I was servicing an old pleasure boat I just picked up and sadly it was neglected: Water in the fuel tank and zero grease in the zerk fittings on the Mercury outboard, serial number 6200723.

As I was dealing with the fuel issue I also started lubricating the zerks. That is when the steering totally locked up. I think I have grime, dirt, crusty grease, and who knows what else in the tilt tube. It locked up super hard and after some web searching I tried spraying everything with liquid wrench and pounding on it but it's frozen in place. I think the tilt tube and steering cable will probably need to be replaced.

Has anyone done this and can you give me advice? I am afraid that a marine mechanic will charge a couple grand for this and I can't afford it.

Thank you,
Benjamin

Little Richard

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Have you tried unhooking push rod from motor and checking if it's the motor that's froze or the cable

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Removing the motor from the transom is the best way. the tube is what connects the motor to the transom mount. Pull the tube and the motor will just fall
if not supported

kermitismydaddy

Recruit
Removing the motor from the transom is the best way. the tube is what connects the motor to the transom mount. Pull the tube and the motor will just fall
if not supported

Yes, this is what I have read elsewhere. I don't have a motor stand. Can I use my tractor's loader to lift the motor off the boat to work on it? If so, should I keep the motor suspended while I replace the tube?