Old cable steering steering question (1950's)

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
I am wondering if I should redo my old steering cable system. The old plastic pulleys are yellowed and squeaky and the cable looks like a ratty, jumbled mess on the dead ends. (looks ok otherwise)

Is there any dangers in using these old systems? (breakage, lockups etc)

Hope its not a dumb question...my first boat with steering

jbcurt00

Staff member
Just like the rest of a boat, a well maintained cable and pulley system can be used. Limits on the size motor its adviseable to use it with though.

If the cables cracked, replace it, same w the pulleys. If the drum behind the steering wheel doesnt operate freely, replace it. If that all costs more then about 100, decide if its worth it to you to keep the vintage look/style of steering setup. Other, modern steering setups can be fairly easily retrofitted to you boat.

I intend to remove a modern steering setup and redo the cable pulley setup on my latest boat purchase. A 1958 tin boat.

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Just like the rest of a boat, a well maintained cable and pulley system can be used. Limits on the size motor its adviseable to use it with though.

If the cables cracked, replace it, same w the pulleys. If the drum behind the steering wheel doesnt operate freely, replace it. If that all costs more then about 100, decide if its worth it to you to keep the vintage look/style of steering setup. Other, modern steering setups can be fairly easily retrofitted to you boat.

I intend to remove a modern steering setup and redo the cable pulley setup on my latest boat purchase. A 1958 tin boat.

Thanks. The max size of motor I will be using is a 25 or 30. Everything works, I just worry about it coming apart in a turn or having the motor suddenly do as it pleases (if that's possible??) I want to keep the classic wheel

The dead ends of the cable just seem to be wrapped around some braces and tied off...to me that says no-no?

Can I use aircraft cable clamps to clamp off the dead end?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Inspect before and after use, on a sub-35hp motor, should be fine. Just like the rest of the boat, it must be set up right and maintained.

The cable isnt expensive, replace it, IMO.
Search google:
cable pulley steering site:forums.iboats.com

You'll find a bunch on the subject

I have these clamps on my cable steering setup. You need springs too, probably
http://www.iboats.com/Tiller-Rope-Sp...-view_id.39682

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Inspect before and after use, on a sub-35hp motor, should be fine. Just like the rest of the boat, it must be set up right and maintained.

The cable isnt expensive, replace it, IMO.
Search google:
cable pulley steering site:forums.iboats.com

You'll find a bunch on the subject

I have these clamps on my cable steering setup. You need springs too, probably
http://www.iboats.com/Tiller-Rope-Sp...-view_id.39682

Thanks, they look nicer than aircraft cable clamps. Springs look good and seem pretty stiff. I was more concerned with the installation methods and age of the cable and plastics

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
I've been trying to read up on the subject. I see there's a few ways to rig up cable type steering. I got some of the slop out of the wheel, but there's still slop in the cables. I assume both springs should be under some tension when at rest?

The plastic pulleys are creaky as anything...is oiling plastic pulleys a no-no, or does it even help?

Lastly, the springs are attached to the motor, with the final pulleys near the dead ends...and its a bit of a mess. I just ditched photobucket over their new policies, so I cannot upload a photo at this time.

This looks so much cleaner.
fetch

Is there any performance advantage to having the springs mount to the hull as opposed to the motor?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
iBoats has everything except the helm - pulleys, springs, clamps and tiller cable, but I don't think you need 250' of cable. Big Box stores carry the cable and you buy it by the foot. Match the size to a short piece cut off the old cable end. Use galvanized vinyl covered cable.

Yes, the springs do keep tension on the cable or it will fall off the helm drum. If your set up has the springs at the motor, leave it that way so nothing needs to be re-engineered.

Oil probably isn't the best thing to use on squeaky pulleys. Graphite is better because the is no chance is the plastic pulleys deteriorating.

Lastly - do your cables run on the starboard side now? If cables run on both sides, it's best to keep it that way. Again no re-engineering, just replacement.

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks, cables run both sides now. Pulleys all look fine, but the pins look fixed. I found a graphite spray, hope that will flow in...will give it a try. Iboats shop looks like a great source of parts