What's this part called?

CJ River Rider

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Guys, have a question about stiff steering. When I disconnect the steering cable from the "connector" piece, the cable slides freely when I turn the steering wheel & the motor pivots freely. I'm assuming the part circled in red needs to be replaced. It's frozen in place underneath the motor attachment point so this part is what I assume I need to replace. Any idea what this part is called and where I can get a replacement? I've looked online and at the various steering systems & even in the West Marine catalog and can't find any reference or information.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• photo266797.jpg
    photo266797.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 0
  • photo266798.jpg
    photo266798.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 0

CJ River Rider

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks guys, now to try to find the right one. Went to the local marina & came back with two, the straight one will not work & the other one has a bend in it but in a different spot. Looks like it will work but does not have the ball joint on the end, only a bigger hole.

Unfortunately my 70HP Force doesn't show up in the Mercury catalog, only the later 75HP & only up to 50HP for my year. Going to call Mercury tomorrow.

GA_Boater, ball joint is totally frozen, no amount of grease or PB Blaster will budge it. Motor moves freely off cable and steering cable moves OK disconnected, I'll clean it up & re-grease but maybe a whole new steering system in the off season as it's 20 years old (I assume).

What's your thoughts on the one without the ball joint on the end? I dry fitted it & it seems OK as far as being able to turn the motor equally to both sides and does not interfere with any other cables or linkage. If I can't get the right one, I might just get a small piece of stainless tubing to put over the bolt the connects to the motor to make up for the larger opening in this bracket.

Thanks for your help.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The ball joint allows the motor to be trimmed and tilted without binding and wearing the cable due to twist. Do you have tilt & trim?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Use oil, 'n free up the tie bar,.... No reason to replace it,....

I'd also guess the true area of the problem is inside the tilt tube on the motor,....

Insteada just unhookin' the end of the cable from the tie bar, pull the cable outa the tilt tube, 'n grease it,....

CJ River Rider

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ayuh,.... Use oil, 'n free up the tie bar,.... No reason to replace it,....

I'd also guess the true area of the problem is inside the tilt tube on the motor,....

Insteada just unhookin' the end of the cable from the tie bar, pull the cable outa the tilt tube, 'n grease it,....

Ayuh...not, the ball joint is frozen solid, tie bar is useless.Cable moves freely in the tilt tube.

CJ River Rider

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The ball joint allows the motor to be trimmed and tilted without binding and wearing the cable due to twist. Do you have tilt & trim?

Yes I do, if fact when I bought the boat 4-5 years ago, this was a $750.00 dollar fix. I was wondering that also concerning tilt. In fact, when I hooked up the new tie bar temporarily, I was more concerned with side to side travel and didn't check it changing trim. Thanks again.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh...not, the ball joint is frozen solid, tie bar is useless.Cable moves freely in the tilt tube.

Ayuh,.... If the ball is rust frozen, Heat it, Hot, a propane torch will do, then quench it in cold water,....

At that point, simply workin' the ball around will loosen it right up,...
Then grease the 'ell out of it, 'n go Boatin',....

In All my years, I've yet to find anything rusted solid, that heatin', 'n quechin' won't free up for 1 more lap,.....

GA_Boater

Ayuh,.... If the ball is rust frozen, Heat it, Hot, a propane torch will do, then quench it in cold water,....

At that point, simply workin' the ball around will loosen it right up,...
Then grease the 'ell out of it, 'n go Boatin',....

In All my years, I've yet to find anything rusted solid, that heatin', 'n quechin' won't free up for 1 more lap,.....

Ya beat me to the next suggestion. So listen to Bondo!

CJ River Rider

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ya beat me to the next suggestion. So listen to Bondo!

After getting 2 locally that were not the same & getting a 3rd one from halfway across the country which was supposed to be an exact replacement (and wasn't), I gave up and used my Prestolite outfit on the old one and it worked as you guys said! I should have listened to you guys first, it was so corroded that I never thought it would free up but it did.

I've used the boat multiple times in the last 1-1/2 months & the steering works fine.

Thanks again, Bondo & GA_Boater!

GA_Boater

Thanks for the update, CJ. Keep that ball joint greased up or it may be frozen in the spring.