Leaking hydrulic helm pump

TCATTC

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Does anyone know where to send hydraulic helm pumps for service or a rebuild?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
start by using your local yellow pages and check with your local hydraulic shops to see if any of them will rebuild your orbitrol

TCATTC

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I live in a very rural area and there are no hydraulic shops near me other than ones that only do cylinders. Back in the 90's I had sent a couple somewhere in Fla for rebuilding but I don't remember where it was.That was before I had internet.I found a couple places but I thought I might see if you guys had any experience with them first

JoLin

Vice Admiral
There's an outfit called 'Southern Charm' in FL that claims to rebuild all of them. I came across them when my old Hynautic helm pump started leaking. I had read mixed reviews of the rebuilt units so swapped mine out with a new seastar unit.

http://boaterstore.com/index.html

TCATTC

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks. I found that place in a search and just shipped my helm off to them. I will post an update when i get the finished product.

TCATTC

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got the pump rebuilt and back on and working properly. Took the boat out this weekend, don't care for the hydraulic steering at all. Cant drive in a straight line going slow (waddles back and forth like a drunk) There's no play in the steering so it's working as it should as far as I can tell. It just feels odd to me, maybe it takes some getting used to. You just can't beat a simple old cable.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The handling has nothing to do with the steering.
​What size boat? Motor?
You have trim tabs?

​Try running with the trim all the way down?
Trim tabs? run them all the way down?

Hyd. steering is so much better than cable.
My boat came with twin 85's and regular steering.
I had a real hard time trying to take off without the boat turning hard right.
​Replaced with hyd. absolutely no problem after that.

TCATTC

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It's a 24' v hull with a cabin and flybridge. very heavy boat. V8 Chevy, Alpha one. Trim tabs. It's a lot better when on plane but going slow or trying to center a slip against current is a bear.

Last edited: