1988 Teleflex or Seastar controller removal

ab59

Ensign
Hello again , I have the deck ripped out and am taking the side panels off for recover but cant seem to find a way to remove the front of the flush mount side controller , a Teleflex or Seastar model that the shift handle is removed by a single bolt in the center of the bottom of the handle. It is connected to ( or was ) a 5.7 mercruiser . It is original equipment for the 1988 Starcraft ss20v Aluminum bow rider.
The problem is getting the front square plastic plate off , I can see what looks like plastic locks , maybe , inside with the handle removed. There is access to only one screw and when I loosen that it makes no difference , I really dont want to take the cables loose from behind unless absolutely necessary .

a little Help ??

ab59

Ensign
Here are some pics---

Attachments

• DSC01861.JPG
    DSC01861.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC01862.JPG
    DSC01862.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC01863.JPG
    DSC01863.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC01866.JPG
    DSC01866.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC01867.JPG
    DSC01867.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC01869.JPG
    DSC01869.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 0

ab59

Ensign
No one has ever taken one of these apart ? It has only got one exposed screw for the outside housing and 3 blanked off round holes plugged by round plastic dowels that are connected to something inside of the face plate and do not move when I pry on it. When I pry on the face plate with the one screw backed off I can see that the plate is still fixed in the middle to the assembly in back of it. I can not find one bit of information on this controller any where.
If I get it out by force then I will be out 300 bucks so a little help from some one who knows would be muchly appreciated

ab

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I haven't pulled a side mount control like the one you have, but aren't you going to remove the side panels? You can remove the panels since the motor end, cables and wiring, is or will be disconnected anyway. Your resto won't be slowed down while figuring how or a member knows what it takes to remove the remote.

:welcome: aboard.

ab59

Ensign
Ga-boater--- No matter what I will need the controller completely removed from the side panel to re upholster it so since it has to come off I would like to remove it from the side panel while it is in the boat. I am trying my best not to make more work for myself later on . I have the panel loose and could remove the cables from the back of the controller but like I said I am trying not to make more work for myself later on. Some how this thing acts like it is attached to the inside of the hole where the shifter bolts on so I think I may make a hook like flat bar and get ahold of the inside of the face plate to try to pry it out that way.
I dunno

ab59

Ensign
HALLELUJAH , this thing just came off the same way I had already tried 20 times !!!! The last time I tried to remove it I shot WD-40 all around it , this time when I reached over and pulled and twisted it came rite off like it should have in the beginning. Guess it was welded together from what looked like dried salt water residue and the wd did its stuff so it came off.
thanks GA boater at least you tried to help..