steering binds after dead stops

stang32

Chief Petty Officer
my boating buddy has an issue were when he turns the boat hard port, then tries to turn starboard the steering binds then turns freely once it unbinds.
i removed the steering arm from the ram & the o/d swings freely, i then disconnected the shift cable from the ram & the steering turns fine, so the question is, how do you determine if the problem is the p/s pump or the power assist ram?

alldodge

Staff member
Need to watch the steering under load. Take it in the water and see if it can be seen binding. The PS unit puts much more load on the yoke then your hand can. Watch to see if the yoke arm movement

The problem my also be in the helm. The helm has a gear which connects to the spiral wound steering cable. You have checked the rear, you could either pull the cable out of the jacket at the stern or remove helm and look there. Right now I'm thinking it may be a spot on the cable.

stang32

Chief Petty Officer
Need to watch the steering under load. Take it in the water and see if it can be seen binding. The PS unit puts much more load on the yoke then your hand can. Watch to see if the yoke arm movement

The problem my also be in the helm. The helm has a gear which connects to the spiral wound steering cable. You have checked the rear, you could either pull the cable out of the jacket at the stern or remove helm and look there. Right now I'm thinking it may be a spot on the cable.

ok but when the o/d is disconnected & the cable is connected to the yoke, the binding still occurs . when disconnected from the yoke, the binding is not there

also the binding occurs when docked in the water with the cable connected

alldodge

Staff member
Then it sounds like it is in the pivot pins and gimbal ring.

BTW what are you working on? Merc, VP, OMC, other?

stang32

Chief Petty Officer
oops. it is a 2000 Mariah with 5.7 volvo penta and the gimbal swings freely when disconnected from the actuator

stang32

Chief Petty Officer
ah, sorry i have to many boats on my brain. it is a 5.7 mercruiser gen II not volvo

alldodge

Staff member
Pull the drive and see how much play you have in the upper/lower pins along with steering arm

stang32

Chief Petty Officer
I appreciate all the suggestions but i feel i am not being understood.,
1) i pulled the clevis pin from the actuator that moves the steering arm (gimbal) the steering is still very stiff
2) i pulled the clevis pin that connects the steering cable to the actuator, the wheel turns freely, i can whip it around from end to end with no resistance.
3) with the the cable attached but gimbal steering arm unattached. the wheel is hard to turn with both the engine running and turned off.

i need to understand why the majority of the posts push towards the steering cables even though the wheels spins freely unconected

stang32

Chief Petty Officer
oh & along with item #1, with the steering shaft disconnected from the actuator the drive swings back & forth with ease as well

alldodge

Staff member
Sounds like you need another steering ram. The pic below is one I made up for another issue, buy the should work. Steering arm is Yellow and ram connection is Blue arrow, and if I understand you correctly everything works fine so long as the ram is not connected

Tiller pin.jpg

stang32

Chief Petty Officer
Sounds like you need another steering ram. The pic below is one I made up for another issue, buy the should work. Steering arm is Yellow and ram connection is Blue arrow, and if I understand you correctly everything works fine so long as the ram is not connected

yes the steering is smooth and effortless with the drive not connected & the pin out of the cable to hydraulic steering pin (blue arrow) so i assume the cable is not the issue.

i put the boat back together today after doing bellows & impeller. the drive swings with ease but the minute I install the 2 pins into the actuator/ram and turn the boat to dead stop port, the wheel locks up. i really need to fix this ,it is unsafe in this condition.

alldodge

Staff member
If you pull the tiller arm (Yellow arrow) and if its still hard then its the steering ram.

stang32

Chief Petty Officer
wen i pull the tiller arm, the steering is stiff but the binding is not there

alldodge

Staff member
wen i pull the tiller arm, the steering is stiff but the binding is not there

The steering shouldn't be stiff, I would think its in the steering ram. Try moving the drive to see how smooth it is, the drive pivots from the upper and lower pins. Might be a combination of both

stang32

Chief Petty Officer
the drive swings smoothly, as a matter of fact, when moved to the end of travel port or starboard, it wants to swing back center. so there should be no hanging up .

alldodge

Staff member
Sure sounds to me you need to replace the steering ram. And removing it is a bear just getting to the tabs and unbending them

stang32

Chief Petty Officer
yeah i know, thats why i want to be ABSOLUTELY sure it needs changing