Commander 3000 / Mercury Bluewater 135 stuck in neutral

mustacheyouaquestion

Seaman Apprentice
I just picked up a 2000 Sea Ray Sundeck with the Commander 3000 control left uninstalled because of upholstery work. The P.O. said it shifted fine before but he got thoroughly confused trying to reinstall the control and was shifted multiple times in preinstall stage before he gave up.
So here's what I got....It will go in neutral and start. The neutral button engages properly but it does not function as it will not rev while engaged. It it not engaging forward or reverse (free prop spin) but the linkage is operating properly. Is it possible that the shift shaft got out of sync?

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
When shifting into forward, does the linkage move on the motors shift plate?

mustacheyouaquestion

Seaman Apprentice
The linkage is fine. I dropped the lower today and was going to reset the shift shaft back to forward but there is much resistance trying to turn the spline. I gave up for today.

alldodge

Staff member
there is much resistance trying to turn the spline

First I'm going to assume you have a Alpha Gen 2
The lower is off but its hard to turn the input shaft with the prop?
The shift shaft should be turned where it will lock the prop in the counter clockwise direction. If the shift shaft cannot be turned easy and lock the prop, then the linkage the lower may need to come apart.

If it is the shift foot is hard to turn (only turns 90 degrees) and does not face forward when prop is locked, then check to see if it is bent. Last note it is much easier and less chance to get it together correctly is remove the entire drive. It can be done but its hard to align the water supply tube.

mustacheyouaquestion

Seaman Apprentice
It's the lower off a 1999 Mercury Bluewater 135 OB (carbed). The shift shaft only turns about 20 degrees before it comes to a dead stop. At that proint the prop does not free spin, it has the resistance of the motor compression and does not rachet. It only takes a slight fraction of wiggle and the prop free spins again. Is this symptoms of shift shaft cam just rotated completely of range?

alldodge

Staff member
The Alpha drives only rotates as you say about 20 degrees. Without the motor running it only takes a slight bit of movement to disengage. That said, if the shift foot is facing forward, the prop should lock full in the counter clockwise rotation. If the shift foot is rotated in the other direction to 20 sum degrees, the prop will lock full in the counter clockwise rotation.

In either locked position, the upper drive shaft will rotate as prop is rotated, or if the drive is installed, the prop cannot be turned because the motor will stop it