Throttle hard to shift from neutral.

johndavidross

Seaman Apprentice
My throttle is tough to switch from neutral. More so when going into reverse but still difficult when going forward as well. I'd like to ease this up a bit as I'm used to my old boat and how loose it felt. Are there a few things that it could be? I'm just trying to get an idea on what it might be so I can estimate cost.

I'm also up to check out a few things if it's not too difficult. I've never messed with any of that stuff before.

Thanks.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Gunk/grit in the control innards. Control innards need lubing. Broken/worn parts in control. Kinked / corroded control cable(s). Control linkages on motor gunked/corroded/need lube/broken.

I'm sure there are more possibilities! But I'd start with complete disassembly, cleaning, inspection, and lube of control innards. What control, what motor?

johndavidross

Seaman Apprentice
Gunk/grit in the control innards. Control innards need lubing. Broken/worn parts in control. Kinked / corroded control cable(s). Control linkages on motor gunked/corroded/need lube/broken.

I'm sure there are more possibilities! But I'd start with complete disassembly, cleaning, inspection, and lube of control innards. What control, what motor?

The motor is a Merc 5.0, 260 HP. I'm not sure about the throttle. I'll check and update once I get onboard hopefully tonight. The boat is a 1999 Starcraft Aurora 2015 if that helps.

johndavidross

Seaman Apprentice

The control is a Quicksilver 3000. I'm assuming that it is the original control that came with the boat in '99.