!992 Sylvan hard steering

Mummy43

Recruit
I have a 1992 Sylvan 17' "Eliminator" with a 1996 Mercury 75hp outboard. The steering has been getting stiffer over the past few years. Last week I lubed the tilt tube fitting generously, cleaned off the steering rod and got no favorable results. The motor swings freely with the linkage removed from the steering rod. I am now 90% sure the cable (original probably) is bad, but not totally sure. I tried to pull it out of the tilt tube but the cable sleeve is so stiff I can only get it out about an inch. I really can't tell if the rod is binding in the tilt tube or the cable is binding in the sleeve.
So, my question is how do I get the cable out of the boat once I figure out how to remove it from the helm? The interior bulkhead where the cable runs from under the dash to the transom is fully enclosed. I can't pull the cable thru as it is pretty much unbendable. I am wondering if I have to take off the panels, wiring tunnels, fishing rod storage and motor speed control arm assembly. Any help pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Mike

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
Are you saying the cable is stiff to the point that you can't pull it out from the rear of the boat once it is disconnected from the helm? The cables are usually pretty stiff from the get go. I've always tied a string to the cable and puled it out from the back of the boat, then tied the string to the new cable and pull it back up to the helm. Once you have it disconnected, I would try pulling it through before I started taking off all the panels. Just my 2 cents.

Mummy43

Recruit
Thanks for your reply. Today I'll disconnect it from the helm if I can and try to pull it partially forward into the footwell. This may give me enough clearance aft to work it out of the tilt tube. Once clear of the tilt tube I might be able to pull it out of the back of the boat after tying a string to the helm end. Removing panels appears to be a huge job that I hope I don't have to do.
Mike

Mummy43

Recruit
Got it out today, pretty much the way I thought I could do it. Hung up a few times but I jerked it through those areas. Getting the new one through should be interesting. I think I'll replace the string with a light line to be able to tug on it more aggressively. Thanks again for help getting me thru this.

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
Glad you got it out! Hopefully pulling it back through goes relatively smoothly. I recommend tying it on, but then also wrap it with electrical tape for about a foot or so. Really makes sure that the rope won't come off during a tug-of-war with the cable. Good luck!!!