Steering wheel very hard to turn

a105780a

Recruit
Good evening, I'm in need of some help I just bought a used 2005 Larson 228 LXI 75 hours. Brought it out first time with family put it in the water and steering wheel would not move left or right? After jerking on the wheel extremely hard steering wheel moved left and right but it took lots of force. By a lot, my wife could not turn it by herself. Brought boat home disconnected steering cable from power steering actuator. No change boat still extremely hard to turn. I'm assuming the cable is bad? But with the cable disconnected should I be able to move the outdrive with my hand? I can not move the outdrive should the steering actuator move freely with steering cable disconnected? Any Help would be great.

Thanks,
James, Indianapolis

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard.

since you disconnected the drive and the steering is still not turning, that would suggest that either the helm or cable is bad

replace them both

and yes, the outdrive should be able to be moved relatively easy as well. that will need attention.

a105780a

Recruit
Thanks for the help. With the cable removed from the boat the helm turn fine, so I guess the cable is bad ordered new one. I'm just trying to convince myself the power steering actuator is bad as well. With the power steering hoses either connected or disconnected from steering actuator I can not move the outdrive either direction. Has anyone heard of the power steering actuator locking up? Thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would replace helm and cable.

Disconnect actuator and see if outdrive swivels then