Vintage Boat Rides High on Plane

brl96

Cadet
I recently restored an 1974 Century Resorter. It has the 440 inboard. It runs well, but it tends to ride at an steep angle. It does not plane flat at top speeds. I know these older boats did not come with trim tabs. Is that required to ride flatter in the water. Is there any changes I could make to help it run flatter in the water.

Thanks for the help.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would add bennett trim tabs Tabman will be along shortly for a recommendation

you can also move some weight forward

Tabman

iboats.com Partner
Thanks for the shout out Scott.

I think the first thing I would consider is talking to a prop expert about a stern lifting one to see if that would help.

But Tab would help a lot too. Do you have a photo of the stern you can post?

Tom
Bennett Marine

brl96

Cadet
No Title

My boat is not at our cabin, but attached is what it looks like minus the trim tabs. This was taken off the internet. I was thinking of adding a Bennett SLT10.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• photo265428.jpg
    photo265428.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 0

Tabman

iboats.com Partner
SLT 10s would be good, and BOLT 1212 12 x 12s would be great. How many feet long is the Resorter?

Tom

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
is the outdrive down all the way? Did you replace the Motor Mounts during the restoration? Are the exactly the same dimensions as the originals?

brl96

Cadet
The boat is 18'. I did replace the motor and used the motor mounts the the new engine. Would it help to lower the engine?

Tabman

iboats.com Partner
At 18' you could use the SLT10 or the 12 x 9 Bolt electric tabs.

Lowering the engine would tend to make the bow ride higher since it would move the shaft angle upwards from what it was (think trimming an outdrive / outboard up).

It really depends on the height of the mounts and the placement of the mounting points on the motor itself. Generally you would want the motor to sit at the same level it was to keep the shaft angle the same as it was originally.

Tom
Bennett Marine