Need help identifying and removing this shfter (pics)

stancalame

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Investigating trim down problem I needed to dig into shifter. I removed allen set screw from bottom of shifter and the center button but shifter still would not come off spline. I was able to feel behind the shifter and found two phillips screws and was able to use a #2 phillips driver bit and channel locks to remove the shift cover.
I found a broken wires that had been spliced multiple times near the bottom of the entry to the shifter. The down trim wire had come loose. I'd like to take shifter off to access the wiring behind the mount bracket and to investigate side to side "slop" in shifter. I could then more easily replace cover and remount to spline. (I think :confused:)

1 ) How do I get the shifter completely off?... or do I want to? I dont want to create additional problems taking it off but, I know the way I removed shifter cover, is backwards and it bugs me that I cant get it off the spline.

2) I know I have extra wire in gunnel and it has the outter sheath on it which could act as protection for the wires where the shifter rotates past the entry from the gunnel. I plan to pull more wire into the shifter handle and make splice higher up and away from the bottom which is where it wore out and eventually dissonnected the down trim wire.

Any futher ideas welcome. I always find this formum extremely helpful. I have done far more than I could have ever thought and its the only way I can afford to hang on to this old boat!

Attachments

• shifter%20cover%20off%20close_zpsdgwenaor.jpg
    shifter%20cover%20off%20close_zpsdgwenaor.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0254_zpsadjhqacu.jpg
    IMG_0254_zpsadjhqacu.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0255_zpsxmqfty5w.jpg
    IMG_0255_zpsxmqfty5w.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 0
  • shifter_zpsr2uidkkf.jpg
    shifter_zpsr2uidkkf.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
There is a set screw that you need to remove from the bottom. If I remember correctly, you have to either move the shifter forward or reverse to access it.

stancalame

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I already removed the set screw. I can't figure out what is holding it on.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
It should slide right off. Give it a tug.

BTW, you didn't need to take all the plastic stuff off to remove the arm....just the set screw

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Obviously it is on a splined shaft and may take some persuasion. JMHO

Those wires certainly need replaced. They look really bad.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I have owned two of these exact controls on 2 different boats so I know they should slide off. You may need to squirt some penetrating oil in there to help it come off.

stancalame

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks, I'll give it another shot next time at lake. I am puzzled becuase I expected it to come off pretty easily once I removed set screw. I didnt know if there was some sort of clip or mechanism behind it that should be aware of. Dont want to make a bad situation work. I can get the plactic cover back on the way I got it off its just cumbersome. Plus I hope to discover where the side to side play is coming from.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If your is as old as mine was on my last boat, I would just replace it, They do wear out over time and when replaced make shifting, especially for your OMC Cobra, much better.

stancalame

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I assume I would have to replace the control cables as well? Where can I learn about that?