1994 Starcraft 1810ss steering issues

Mulligan18

Cadet
Friends,
I have a 1994 StarCraft 1810ss Merc 4.3. I have some steering problems at low speed. Forgive me for being long winded. There is much detail to cover. I purchased this boat last year and from the first dip I noticed a crazy amount of steering play at slow speed. I literally had to turn the wheel close to 180 degrees back and forth to maintain course. Upon inspection, I noticed slop at the aft end of the cable - between the cable jacket and mounting nut. I thought I could snug it up but it would not move. I replaced the cable, rack and helm with a new SeaStar unit - part number 14114. When dismantling the old tilt-helm I found some play in these components probably contributing to the problem. The new cable and rack required the new helm - unfortunately giving up the tilt. The new cable was difficult to mount at the aft end. Much effort was needed to draw that tight but in the end there was no longer any slop between the jacket and mounting nut. When launching the boat, I was very disappointed to have the same problem - not as bad but, bad. I have inspected all of the steering components from the cable to down deep into the outdrive and find nothing wrong. Going back up to the helm, I find a great deal of slop at the rack. There is plenty of movement of the wheel before anything moves at the aft end. So, this is probably part of my problem but not everything. I would very much appreciate advice and feedback here. Is there a better rack on the market? Alternatives to a rack? Moving on, I do not have much knowledge of the mechanics of power steering but I wonder if I have a problem here as well. I wonder if the power components are not responding well when moving the wheel. I checked the fluid and found it to be as bad as I had ever seen - probably original. I drew it out and a replaced with new fluid - a type that is supposed to help rejuvenate old pumps. I used it in my car with great results so I assume it might improve the pump in the boat. After a while, I think I might have some improvement but the steering is still very annoying. Any advice here? My last thought is that my problem might be due in whole or part the design of the hull. In this regard, I would very much like to hear from anyone who owns or has experience with the 1810ss. Is it possible that this hull design just does not like to track straight when going slow? This boat does not like to go slow in any event. Between idle and plane, it is bow up and transom squatted down. It just plows through the water that way. I did end up putting a foil on the outdrive which does make the boat much more manageable at low speeds and also allows for quicker planning. It's nor crazy good like advertised but it is truly a very nice improvement. I'd say the steering might be a little better but that feeling might be because the boat is just better overall with the foil. Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
JBB

Bondo

Staff member
Is it possible that this hull design just does not like to track straight when going slow?

Ayuh,.... Let me guess,..... It only has excess slop at idle speeds,..?? anything over idle, 'n it handles just fine, Right,..??

If so,... It's what boats do,... called V-hull wander,...

The usually "Cure" is less operator input,.... it'll come back on it's own,....

The bow up, stern down, is also what boats do,...
Hammer it, pop onto plane, then slow down to where ya wanta be, or til it falls off plane again,....

I 'bout Never run my boat 'tween 1500 rpms, 'n 'bout 3000 rpms, because that's the "Plow Zone",....
Faster than idlin' at displacement speeds, 'n when slowin', it falls off plane just under 3000 rpms,....
So I don't run there,...

As for the P/S fluid,...
I change it by puttin' a catchcan under the pump, or a short piece of 3/8" hose if ya can't get a catchcan under the pump,....
On the back of the pump are 2 lines, 1 screwed in, the other a hose barb, 'n screw clamp,....
Disconnect the hose clamped line, 'n quickly slip on the 3/8" line ya got leadin' to the catchcan onto the barb,...
That'll drain the res,....
Extend or otherwise direct the hose ya took off the pump into yer catchcan, where you can see it,...
Have a couple bottles of Atf handy, with the caps off, ready,....
Have a helper start the motor, at idle,....
As the ole fluid goes into the catchcan from the return line, pour fresh fluid into the top of the res,...
When ya start seein' good clean fluid runnin' into the catchcan, tell yer helper to shut her down,...
Reassemble, top it off, 'n yer done,... Every drop of P/S fluid is fresh, 'n clean,....
Suckin' it outa the res, you changed, Maybe 1/2 of the total,...

Mulligan18

Cadet
Bondo,
Thank you for your reply. Correct, the steering slop is at idle and a little more. But, my problem seems bigger than v-hull wander. I have driven a 1988, 19 foot century quite a few times over the past years and it steers just fine slow or fast. Also, when I am going out the channel I am seeing everyone else, in every variation of little power boat, tracking straight with a thumb or less on the wheel and I am steering like a drunk Popeye.
JBB

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Just barely bump the throttle, 'n Quit turnin' the wheel all the time,....

Like I said, the "Cure" is Less Operator Input,.....

I troll in my ole tinbarge for hours at a time,...
Just slight corrections are all that's needed to hold a compass headin',...
Even in a canal, just minor adjustments, 'n let it wander about abit,...

It's a boat in water, not yer car on blacktop,...
With yer car, only the car is movin',....
In yer boat, both the boat, 'n the water are movin',...

Mulligan18

Cadet
Seriously, Bondo, I am not new to boats or anything else with a steering wheel. I understand what you are thinking but, no, I am not over steering. I have 5 inches of free play in the steering. It takes more that that to keep it relatively straight. There is no point in time at low speed that this boat will track straight.