Quicksilver Commander 3000 Advance throttle only button doesnt work correctly

YoMoma

Cadet
Hi, I`ve got a 2001 Bass Tracker equipped with a Quicksilver Commander 3000 throttle control and am having problems using the advance throttle button to get any throttle while in neutral. Actually cant get it to be in neutral to give a little gas during morning startups.
It seems the button doesn`t depress in enuf for it to give throttle in neutral. The best I can get it to depress is almost flush with the throttle arm, but not quite. Is it suppose to depress more?
This makes it tough to start the motor in the morning if I cant give it more than just idle to warm up.
Any ideas to fix this?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Get the manual for the control, pull it apart and clean the corrosion in the detent area

YoMoma

Cadet
Get the manual for the control, pull it apart and clean the corrosion in the detent area

I have the manual. But I see a problem. It tells me
"It will be nessesary to put the control handle in the THROTTLE ONLY position. Push IN on the button and place control handle forward. THROTTLE ONLY button can now be removed."

Problem is I cannot get the button depressed far enough to even get the throttle to move in neutral. To allow me to remove it. I`ve heard if you try to take button out without doing this can cause the retaining clip in control unit to break.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Have you tired jiggling the handle and pulling up on the shift lever as you push in the button?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... Spray some oil in there 1st, then try again,...

If that don't work, get a bigger hammer,...... :D

alldodge

Staff member
Don't know if your willing to do this, but.... if you could use some sort of cutting tool to cut the button off. At this point your not any worst off then you are now. After that you might be able to get into it and push it far enough to remove the end piece