1956 Duracraft 14' semi-V

driftwood70

Cadet
I have a 1956 Duracraft 14' semi-V bottom boat that my Grandpa bought brand new, what I am looking for is the original steering wheel set-up that was on it. It has the original Evinrude 15hp motor that came with it. Some of my relation took off the steering wheel and throttle and shifter. I have found the throttle and shifter, now I am looking for the sheering wheel assembly for it, or something that will work. Any ideas???

jbcurt00

Staff member
Who made the bow and stern lights? If they are original and made by Attwood, its somewhat likely it had am Attwood steering wheel.

Cable and pulley system is all still there, just missing the wheel? And the drum and ahaft are still moumted to the dash.

Need to make sure any wheel you buy is compatible w the pieces you have, tapered shaft, keyway, etc...

Ebay, boat swap meets, AOMCI meets are all possible places to find vintage wheels.

Dealers rigged the boat before delivery, so it sort of depends on what wheel that particular dealer would have used, and that'll be hard to figure out 100%.

Might try looking thru old family pix see if the wheel is visible in any of them...

I am very partial to Wilcox Crittenden red and white wheels:
$_3.JPG

And just bought this Vollrath wheel for a project:
$_3.JPG

Both are period correct, or at least extremely close, and could have been on a 1956 Duracraft....

driftwood70

Cadet
The Vollrath looks like what was there. I knew I would know it when I saw it! Thanks. Bad thing is, I need everything, wheel, mounts, I know I could come up with pulleys and cables. Been looking on Ebay lately, Do not have any swap meets here in Southeast Kansas. Thanks for your pictures!!! Now I have a MFG. name.