Help Please! 1968 Mercury 650 Thunderbolt throttle/shift

jak3

Recruit
Hey guys,

Totally new here and need some help ASAP as it will be greatly appreciated. I restored an old 1969 15' pontoon boat, got a (new to me) motor for it that runs great but I am having issues installing the new 600a throttle/ shift cables. I cannot seem to understand where the throttle barrel attaches to in order to hold it nor can I find anything online anywhere on this particular motor set up. I can see that the pin slides through the shift cable barrel to hold it in place, but I feel stupid because I cannot figure out the throttle.. I'm not totally mechanically challenged but this has be baffled.. was supposed to take her out for a shake down this weekend, got the cables in the mail yesterday, now I'm stumped. I should have taken a photo last night but am at work today... anything helps!

Thank you

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard

Throttle works the same way as the shift cable barrel. Push the pin through the barrel and rotate the lever to lock the cross pins in the detents on the barrel.

jak3

Recruit
That's what I see in the manual as well, this is not an option on my motor.. Wonder if it was removed?

jak3

Recruit
Welcome aboard

Throttle works the same way as the shift cable barrel. Push the pin through the barrel and rotate the lever to lock the cross pins in the detents on the barrel.

There would have to be 2 push pins then correct? 1 for the shifter and one for the throttle? I only have/see one for the shifter.

Thanks

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
They are staggered and one is a little lower. The levers are identical. Look again.

jak3

Recruit
Okay so I figured it out. One barrel needs to face the ground and one needs to face the sky in order for the 1 pin to hold down both... duh! Now I'm having issues with the forward reverse. Will post details shortly.