Swapping Pulley Steering to Cable Steering

waterdowg

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have an 1970 Salem Skiff that has Pulley Steering. I would like to switch it to the cable steering. The engine I have is set up for cable steering so that will not be an issue. There are several place near me that have scrap boats that are selling parts. My question is will the steering cable an I/O boat work on an outboard motor. I plan on getting the entire steering system from a salvaged boat.

alldodge

Staff member
. My question is will the steering cable an I/O boat work on an outboard motor..

Maybe but cannot say for sure, but its going to take some modifications. Do look at any that have power steering, only look at ones with 4 bangers or smaller. The I/O outer jacket is clamped onto the transom assembly plate, then the inner core goes over to the tiller arm.

The OB will need a clamp to hold the outer jacket and fasten it to the transom, then extend out to the OB motor. Your issues is can you make something to hold the jacket, then something the motor can pivot on.

Keep in mind that the more HP then more your going to need to control the torque.

Good luck

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
You say the motor is set up for cable steering. That means you have a tilt tube that probably needs to cleaned - A shotgun cleaning brush does a good job. You also need a steering link arm to connect the cable to the steering tiller.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I realize you want to convert this on the cheap. But remember that the actual steering wheel assembly at the helm is the easy part. The cable length is going to be your main consideration. It really has to be pretty much spot on to allow it to work correctly. So try the best you can to get one the proper length if you can. They can't be adjusted or shorten or lengthen by the consumer. And you will need the control arm from the engine to the cable end as well. And make sure the cable slides freely and not sticking. JMHO

waterdowg

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for the input. I have the Steering Link arm so that's not an issue. I'm not in a hurry to get the parts and can wait as long I I need to to find a smaller boat. If I can't find what I'm looking for by the winter I will buy new. I plan to restore the entire boat this winter.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for the input. I have the Steering Link arm so that's not an issue. I'm not in a hurry to get the parts and can wait as long I I need to to find a smaller boat. If I can't find what I'm looking for by the winter I will buy new. I plan to restore the entire boat this winter.

You know we live on pictures on these threads. So post a picture or three of you boat for us to see what you are dealing with. It helps us come up with better ideas and suggestions. JMHO

waterdowg

Petty Officer 3rd Class
It will not upload pictures of the boat. It will upload other jpg files but none of the boat. I have resize them to to 66k and still they will not upload.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
It will not upload pictures of the boat. It will upload other jpg files but none of the boat. I have resize them to to 66k and still they will not upload.

Don't know what to tell you because don't know what you've tried to do with uploading pictures. I use to resize my pictures using mspaint program until I readjusted my camera to take lower resolution pictures. Now they load without issue. If your pictures are under 700kb, they should upload easily. :noidea: