89 Alpha One loose steering arm.

DieselElectric

Recruit
Took our new (to us) boat out for the first time this weekend, noticed a hard pull to the right every time I let off the throttle quickly.

I had noticed a little slack in the steering when I purchased, but didn't think much of it.

Now I've been doing some reading, and decided to investigate.

I've narrowed the play down to the steering arm at the top of the pivot shaft. The gimbal sleeve does NOT have play, and the linkage is also tight.

The outdrive can be moved about 4 inches total before the steering shaft turns. Just got finished looking at it, and I can actually pry the shaft up and down.

Can I change the steering shaft with the "access hole" kit? Further still, what are the odds that only the steering shaft wore out? Or should I just buy the steering shaft and pin in preparation? I cut down a 16mm wrench to access the pinch bolt, and it is tight.

I was hoping to get through this season without any major disassembly, as I am going to redo the entire subfloor and possibly transom this winter.

About me:. I'm a 10 year ASE master certified tech who now works on trains. I did a bunch of research before buying the boat, but still not enough to prepare myself for everything, thus now finding this issue.

Purchased the boat I did because everything is in great shape, aside from signs of rot in the floor. I don't mind the work, just hoping to not take everything apart until I yank the entire drive for the floor repair.

Thanks in advance!

- Ben

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
If it was not maintained in the past, it may need the steering pin, and the gimbal ring also. The bolts at the top of the ring should be checked during yearly maintenance procedures, I think they should be torqued to 50 ft pounds. I'd check to make sure. If the ring is wore to far, there is a danger of the ring snapping when tightened.

Last edited:

DieselElectric

Recruit
Thanks for the response!

Ended up finding a steering shaft and pin on eBay cheap. Got lucky, for the most part this boat seems to have been maintained well. Everything came apart easy with the exception being the pin that holds the steering arm to the linkage. Spent a few hours getting that out.

The gimbal ring itself is tight to the pin even without bolts in, so I lucked out there.

This has turned into quite the project. Replacing the bellows, upper shift shaft bushing/seal (had water in the u-joint bellows with no obvious entry point), swivel pin seal, impeller kit.

Hoping to have it back in the water this weekend!