What is that high pitch alarm?

Mdeldin57

Recruit
I have a 99 sea ray 270DA, twin 4.3, Once I turn on the battery switches within five minutes a high pitch alarm is sounding and the only way to stop it is dial the battery switches off! The engine can be cold or hot and this will happen even before I start them.

Faulty CO2 detector? I'm at a loss.

Mark

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

which brand of motors/drives?

could be a low oil alarm, could be an over-heat alarm, could be a low gear lube

knowing which brand of motors/drives will help narrow it down

going to assume mercruiser. if so, you may want to PM a mod to move this to the appropriate location in the forum.

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
What part of the boat is the alarm coming from? The low oil pressure alarm is in the dash and will sound until the engine is started and oil pressure established.
You don't have a carbon dioxide detector, so that's not it, though you might have a carbon monoxide detector in the cabin. In which case the alarm would be sounding up forward in the berthing.
Are you sure the ignition is off when you turn the batteries on? If the alarm is in the engine compartment, it could be the converter/charger.
About the only thing you can do is follow the sound until you identify where it is coming from, really.

alldodge

Staff member
I have a 99 sea ray 270DA, twin 4.3, Once I turn on the battery switches within five minutes a high pitch alarm is sounding and the only way to stop it is dial the battery switches off! The engine can be cold or hot and this will happen even before I start them.

Faulty CO2 detector? I'm at a loss.

Mark

Howdy Mark

There isn't much info here so I'm going to make some assumptions. If any of these are incorrect, please advise.

Sound happens without the ignition key turned ON. If the motors are started the sound will continue.
In the bilge there should be a float switch that is not mounted on the bottom, its a bit higher on a stringer or bulkhead. This switch is the high water alarm. Check to see if it is stuck up or has gone bad. There may also be one inside the cabin under the deck somewhere.

Mdeldin57

Recruit
AllDodge,
​Thanks for writing. Once I uncover a cold boat and turn the battery switches on, a few minutes later the alarm sounds. I do have a CO2 detector which I've unplugged (in the cabin) and it still sounds. I will start the port engine and get the usual few beeps before starting. Than I'll start starboard engine and the constant alarm finally goes off. When I shut it all down after running awhile, once I shut down the SB side, the alarm resumes.

​It seems to have something related to the SB engine?

Mdeldin57

Recruit
Hot or cold the alarm sounds when I turn the battery switches on

1999 Sea Ray 270DA twin 4.3

​The alarm sounds a few minutes after I turn on the battery dials. It will stop only after I start the starboard engine. Everything runs great, the gauges on instrument panel read fine, and once I shut down the engines the alarm sounds immediately when I turn off the starboard engine. Also, the fluids all check out great and I have even unplugged the CO2 detector down in the cabin, to no avail.

Help??

Mark

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Got a Mercruiser, OMC or what?

This needs to be moved to right section.

Please do not start multiple threads on the same problem.

alldodge

Staff member
Put a meter on the + side of the coil on the SB motor. Do this with key off