New helm new cables. Clicking noise.

Donnyb83

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1978 sportcraft with a 78 mercury 800 80hp. I changed all of the cables. Shift/throttle, and steering. It's a rotary helm. I replaced helm also. The new helm bracket was straight. It didn't slant like the old one. I regressed the tilt tube. It took me awhile to figure out how to adjust the cable to be able to get it to turn fully to the right. Thank God I found a post on here that GAboater replied To. Well now when I start turning to the right from dead center it pops/clicks. Feels like the steering wheel but where the cable is laying under transom seems like maybe it might be there as I can see it jump. I undid the zip ties I had because that made it really click. Guess I had em too tight. Well now just clicks at first turning to right or the last spinning to the left when the wheel is about to be centered to get the motor to start turning left. Any help would be appreciated!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Me again. :smile:

Did you grease the cable where it goes through the splashwell tube?

Donnyb83

Petty Officer 3rd Class
You're a life saver GA. Lol. I did put a good amount of grease on the end of the cable but maybe I'll try a bit more. Here's a dumb question now lol. I think the first time I hooked up my cable it did it and I loosened the nut on the tube a tad n it seemed to help. Could I possibly overtightened the nut a bit. Or do you want that but as tight as possible.?

Donnyb83

Petty Officer 3rd Class
You've taught me alot about boating so far even if you don't realize it bud. Thank you

GA_Boater

The tube may need cleaned out. A shotgun cleaning brush fits nice. A round wire of the right size works too.

Does it click if the cable is disconnected from the motor? The nut should be good and snug, you don't it to come off when you need steering - Like all the time!

It's not always easy trying to give advice from a distance, but sometimes it works. :smile: Glad to help, Donny.

Donnyb83

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Man I appreciate everything you comment cause I know, you know what you're talking about. I bought a plumbing brush n cleaned that tube pretty good. Were some Knicks in there. I don't believe it clicked unhooked from the motor. I'll try again messing with it asap. I was getting my garden ready and digging a bush out earlier n either came down with some serious allergies or the flu.

Donnyb83

Petty Officer 3rd Class
After hooking up shift/throttle cables I went and got 3 outboard fuel cans instead of using the tank on the boat. Went to start the other night n couldn't get her to stay running. I was devistated. Almost in tears lol. Next day I woke up came on iboats turns out the button in the Merc control was the choke and the lever was a warm up idle. Lol. Ran just as beautiful as before I replaced the cables. Lol good thing for this forum!

Donnyb83

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey ga I'm about to unhook from motor first to see if it clicks. If it does or doesn't, is there any next steps to try Incase I don't get a reply in a while. I guess that's alot to answer. Lol. What if it doesn't click when unhooked. Them what could I do?

Donnyb83

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Update. No clicking at all when unhooked from motor. Really smooth.

Donnyb83

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Also just like I thought I only tighened the nut finger tight n tried to turn.no clicking or popping at all

Donnyb83

Petty Officer 3rd Class
You think maybe I have the splash well tube adjusted too far in. Idk. Kind of stumped here

Donnyb83

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Definitely had it not clicking at all but only tightened the nut two turns past hand tight which seemed like it might be tight enough. The more I tighten the nut the more clicking it does. Any ideas?

Donnyb83

Petty Officer 3rd Class
New cable and helm clicking

Definitely had it not clicking at all but only tightened the splahwell nut two turns past hand tight which seemed like it might be tight enough. The more I tighten the nut the more clicking it does. Any ideas?

GA_Boater

The angle of the tube between the side of the splashwell and motor may be adding some resistance.

Might be a long shot - Have you greased the swivel on the motor? There are 1 or 2 Zerk fittings to grease.

Donnyb83

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No I haven't. Where are them fittings bud? I kept looking while turning and it's def with the motor. Almost looks like there's a little play where the rod connects. The motor isn't the easiest to turn though either. I mean with the nut a little loose though it don't make sense that there isn't play there then. You'd think there'd be more play. Can I add a video on here. Maybe I'll try that if I can't figure it out today.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

A bit long-winded, but it shows where the grease fittings are - On the port side swivel housing, typical of most outboards.

Donnyb83

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thank you GA. Got on here the other day but got sidetracked​. Try that tomorrow morning if this rain finally stops.