New control box for 1991 Mercury 100hp Outboard?

bikerider

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello all, I have a 16 ft Tahiti with a 91' Mercury 100 Outboard on it. I am in need of a new control box for it and am wondering how I can tell which control box i need? I did not have much luck googling.

bikerider

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It looks like an updated version of the box I have. The only difference is the short wire pack coming out of the box has more wires coming out of it than mine does. I have one single brown wire coming from the five plug harness. The pic shows four wires coming from the five plug harness. The other 8 plug has the same wires as I do.

wrench 3

Commander
You most likely only had the tach signal wire. That one has the power and ground for the instruments as well. Along with two wires for a bow mounted tilt switch for the motor. (in case you have a bass boat) You only need to use the gray wire.

bikerider

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You most likely only had the tach signal wire. That one has the power and ground for the instruments as well. Along with two wires for a bow mounted tilt switch for the motor. (in case you have a bass boat) You only need to use the gray wire.

Glad to know that one will work. Thanks for your help, wrench 3 :)

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Do you have power tilt and trim?

Some folks like the thumb-switch on the control. Personally, I like a separate switch (preferably an (on)-off-(on) toggle) for PT&T; the switches they put in those controls (and the wiring coiled around inside the control) can be a major weak point in my experience (shorts from wiring insulation damage or water intrusion in the switch).

Last edited:

bikerider

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Do you have power tilt and trim?

Some folks like the thumb-switch on the control. Personally, I like a separate switch (preferably an (on)-off-(on) toggle) for PT&T; the switches they put in those controls (and the wiring coiled around inside the control) can be a major weak point in my experience (shorts from wiring insulation damage or water intrusion in the switch).

I do have power tilt and trim. For my use, the switch on the throttle handle is fine. Are there other options for my motor? As far as control boxes go?