Sorry guys. Need help asap again. Shift/throttle cables

Donnyb83

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The one has a spring. I'm scared of that one lol. Please help as I'm in the middle. GA boater said he'd walk me through step by step. I haven't heard from him since March.

Donnyb83

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I know people get busy so not mad at him. Just first time working on a boat and really need help. Thanks.

Donnyb83

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok got it off but how do I get it through here? Is that a clip. This is a 78 mercury 800 80hp

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The one has a spring. I'm scared of that one lol. Please help as I'm in the middle. GA boater said he'd walk me through step by step. I haven't heard from him since March.

I know people get busy so not mad at him. Just first time working on a boat and really need help. Thanks.

Not leaving you hanging. :doh: I missed the post in the other thread.

You got the end of the throttle cable off? It was the circled nut in the pic below;

throttleclip.PNG

To release the cable barrels, pull the clamp arm toward you. A flat screwdriver behind it may help. The flat spring hooks on a pin, clear the pin and the retainer can be moved to show the cable barrels.

cableclip.PNG

Donnyb83

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Cool. Thank you now I'm here (inserting pic). Done the easy cable now I'm on the one running behind the ignition wires. Took the but out of middle shaft to pull off but not sure if this is what I'm supposed to be doing.lol

Donnyb83

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Also no worries Gaboater. Figure everyone knows you on here so maybe it would of been easier to get someone's help. Lol. I do appreciate it very much.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
That's the shift cable and the throttle is on the other half of the control. It's been a while since I took the same style control apart for cables, but I think you have to remove the screw in the center of the large disk looking thing and move the disk out of the way to get to the end of the cable.

Donnyb83

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well got everything off yesterday. Alot of the plastic gasket pieces are getting real old. Good thing I take pics of everything when doing work I popped out the little cylinder when it was off. Studied the pic and found its location. Lol. I had to be at my nephew's function yesterday so had to stop in the middle. I have everything together in the merccontrol but I was trying to rush and couldn't get it to snap back together. I'll get it in a bit not a problem. However the gear in the control feels a little more loose than it was. (The throttle control gear thingy) lol. I know it's back together right. It might just be me worried or I'm thinking maybe it's because it was so old n never been apart. Do you think that's possible and why it could feel more wobbly in there?.

Donnyb83

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thank you everyone for your help and advice on my 3 posts. It was very much appreciated. Everything is hooked up and seems to be working fine. Still waiting for the steering cable which should be in tomorrow,but that should be a breeze after that merccontrol throttle lol

Donnyb83

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Want to also give a huge Thank you to GA boater. Thank​ you for taking the time to edit the pics and circle the things I needed to do. In the future I will definitely​ buy parts/gear from iboats. Theres a local small marine shop in my area and he's been around for years so I wanted to help out a local business. Iboats is definitely an awesome site. Tha k you all again and I'm sure I'll be posting on here as much as possible. Also I'm sure I'll come across more problems as it is a boat.lol (break out another thousand. I've also been doing other things to the boat, such as two storage doors were missing so I made new ones. Then when I looked under the console for the helm I noticed there weren't any walls to catch my storage from rolling to the back of the boat. (Lol after I made the doors) so I customed some very light plywood walls. I love spending all my available time working on her. I've finally found a hobby. (An expensive one, but I enjoy it very much) also it's only 18 ft. Dont know if youre supposed to name boats that are only 18 ft, but she's got no name so I'm going to name her "Happy Days Too". My dad's was only 17ft growing up and his was named Happy Days. :)