25hp Evinrude shifter control cable parts question

fixitforfree

Cadet
I have a 1982 25hp Evinrude (E25TEC1M) that I need parts help with. The shifter cable was stiff last outing so a part broke inside my Evinrude Simplex control box when I tried to shift into forward. Of course I need a new shifter cable but, from looking at parts diagrams, I believe there is a plastic end or "cable guide" I need also that actually joins the cable to the shifter lever. Can someone help me confirm what the parts are with part numbers I actually need? I belive my cable is 11' or 12' but I will take it off and know for sure before I order. Thanks for your help.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
:welcome: Aboard fixitforfree. We always like new members here at iboats...

Without knowing what control uni you have, it is hard to give information to what parts could be broken. I did a quick research on your control box and there are lots of designs. So until we can see which one you actually have, I can suggestion anything. Post a picture or three of your setup and we can offer help. JMHO

fixitforfree

Cadet
I have attached some photos of my control box and the broken part I need. I also need a cable since a stiff cable is what caused this to begin with. Thanks for any suggestions on p/n's, etc.

Attachments

• IMG_0535.JPG
    IMG_0535.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0534.JPG
    IMG_0534.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0530.JPG
    IMG_0530.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Okay, seems you have the same Ship Master control unit that I have. Parts are still available for it as well. I rebuilt mine and it looks like new now.

Remote - 7M.jpg

The part number you need is 378720 if your broken arm is the longer straight one. And that part number is the same for either the Johnson unit or the Evinrude unit. There are both the exact same with the exception of the name. I did a quick search and the new part I found was $45 dollars. But you might be able to find an old unit to grab that part out of on Ebay. I see some selling for as little as $15 dollars. But there is no way to know what condition the internals are in. But that arm seems pretty stout and should be good even in an older unit. I had to buy some new nylon slides for mine and bought them new. But I can't remember from where presently. :sorry:

I do have lots of pictures of my rebuild of this unit in one of my links below if you are interested in them. JMHO

fixitforfree

Cadet
gm280, my lever isn't broken. I just broke the plastic piece that joins the cable to the lever. I believe it is called a cable guide. I also need a new cable. Thanks for your help.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
gm280, my lever isn't broken. I just broke the plastic piece that joins the cable to the lever. I believe it is called a cable guide. I also need a new cable. Thanks for your help.

Okay then you need that exact parts I replaced in my control unit. They are cheap and can be purchased as well. The part number for them is 308034 and cost around $12 dollars. The same part number is used for both guides on both levers. Those parts are available here at the iboats store as well.

fixitforfree

Cadet
What about the shifter cable I need? Is it a common part still available? As an Evinrude part only or also available aftermarket?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
What about the shifter cable I need? Is it a common part still available? As an Evinrude part only or also available aftermarket?

If your cables are bad, you need to look for the 400 series cables as replacements. The actually ends that connect to the engine and such are sold separately. So if you need everything, then you'll have to but the pieces separately. As for the cables themselves, they sell the cables in 1 foot increments. So measure yours and buy the length you need. Ceck to see if your cable ends are still good. They thread off and can easiiy be cleaned up. JMHO