1978 johnson shift cable problems

wheelers4life

Seaman
I have a 1978 Johnson 115ETL78C outboard. this is a old boat a bought and replaced the gears and the ignition switch in the remote control. I took it out a few days ago and it would not go into foward very good. si pulled the cover off and tried to adjust the shift cable a little at a time until it would go into foward and reverse easy then all the sudden It would not do anything. I got it home pulled the remote apart and the pin that connects the shift cable was out. I put the pin back in and took it out today. put it in reverse off the trailer. put it in foward and dang nothing took it apart and the pin is out again. what could be causing this problem. Thanks old picture but you can see the pin just slides in and out easy

Attachments

• photo261431.JPG
    photo261431.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 0

wrench 3

Commander
Are you missing any thing in this picture OMC control.pngClick on it to enlarge.

wheelers4life

Seaman
my box is different than that. I was told it was obsolete. put new cables in today and same thing. but notices the holder for the shift cable viberates a little when engages sometimes thats when it pops off

wrench 3

Commander
I think this one looks a little closer. OMC control 2.png I'm strictly going from the book but it looks like the separator plate #63 is what keeps the pin in the bottom of the shift lever to hold the cable. (if that's the one your having trouble with) This information may help also http://boatinfo.no/lib/johnson/manua...nual.html#/130 The remote control section starts on page 130.