1996 Maxum 1700 XR Bowrider steering locked up??

JordyOutboard

Seaman
I uncovered my boat this weekend to get it ready for the season. This is the first year Ive kept it outside during the winter season. I usually keep it in the garage.

When i tried to turn the steering wheel there was absolutely no movement. Im guessing my steering cable locked up somehow. I really have no idea.

Where would you guys normally start troubleshooting in a situation like this? Im hoping its an easy fix and just consists of buying a new cable and swapping it out.

Thanks for reading.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Disconnect cable at the motor, if steering turns, its in the motor/outdrive. If it still doesnt turn, its in the cable/helm

Is this an IO or OB boat?

JordyOutboard

Seaman
Disconnect cable at the motor, if steering turns, its in the motor/outdrive. If it still doesnt turn, its in the cable/helm

Is this an IO or OB boat?

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the quick response. The engine is a Force by Mercury Outboard engine.

If it turns out to be the motor/outdrive, what am I looking at in terms of fixing? The boat was functioning perfectly at the end of last season.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If its the motor, its the swivel pin/transom clamp assembly

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
Most likely will be the steering cable,...usually the first point of trouble.

JordyOutboard

Seaman
Hi All,

I was able to mess with the boat today and first thing i did was un hook the steering cable. After that the motor moved freely and the steering cable seems to work fine as well when i turned the steering wheel.

What should i look into now? Im guessing this isn't an easy fix?

JordyOutboard

Seaman
I also want to ask if there is some sort of engine lock to prevent it from moving while transporting? I don't remember putting anything on but figured this could be a possibility. I just don't get how it would stop after working well. Only sat about 4 months.

JordyOutboard

Seaman
I think t[FONT=verdana, geneva]he slider at the end of the cable is frozen in the pivot tube on the motor. I think i need to break it loose some how. From what i am reading people heat it up?

Also, should i remove the two large nuts at each end?
[/FONT]

JordyOutboard

Seaman
Dove back into it today. I ended up using an angle grinder and cut the steering cable off at the engine. I had to then remove the pivot/tilt tube from the engine. I put a car jack under to keep the engine from dropping once i took the tube out.

I had to beat the helll out of the steering cable shaft to get it out of the pivot/tilt tube. Finally got it out and will clean the tube walls. New steering cable is on its way.

Feeling good.