Rotary steering wont turn left (much)

lancehunt

Seaman Apprentice
My 1973 Ebbtide project is stalled on steering.

When I turn the steering wheel right, it turns fine. When I try turning to the left, it only goes a short way and then the steering cable feels like it just "bottoms out". Specifically, the splashwell mounted steering-rod retracts and seems to hit the bottom of the splashwell tube where it connects to the steering cable.

When disconnected from steering cable, I can manually turn the motor left or right just fine.

When steering cable is disconnected from Helm but still connected to the motor it still has the problem turning left.

It seems like it should work just like it needs some kind of adjustment, but I really dont know.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The steering isn't centered. Not as hard to fix as those wheel bearings. :smile:

Can you get a pic of the steering cable through the splashwell to the motor?

I think you have one of these two;

1-sa27055p_0.jpg
splash_0_0.gif

lancehunt

Seaman Apprentice
Glad to have you on-board once again GA_Boater!

Its the one on the right. Will post a pic shortly.

GA_Boater

Didn't need the pics after you said which one you have. The question is a fairly regular pop-up here.

What you need to do is disconnect the cable from the motor, center the steering wheel and motor and then loosen the 4 bolts the hold the plastic tube clamp. Move the tube in or out until the cable end can be connected to the motor, then tighten the four bolts.

Instructions for a Teleflex unit, but they are all pretty much the same. Heed the warning on the bottom of page 4. You probably don't have the funky tongs to adjust the ball, but if you undo the coupler nut completely, then the tube can be turned in or out. Just remember to tighten the coupler nut after the tube is adjusted.

http://www.seastarsolutions.com/wp-c..._SA27254-A.pdf

lancehunt

Seaman Apprentice
What you need to do is disconnect the cable from the motor, center the steering wheel and motor and then loosen the 4 bolts the hold the plastic tube clamp. Move the tube in or out until the cable end can be connected to the motor, then tighten the four bolts.

Instructions for a Teleflex unit, but they are all pretty much the same. Heed the warning on the bottom of page 4. You probably don't have the funky tongs to adjust the ball, but if you undo the coupler nut completely, then the tube can be turned in or out. Just remember to tighten the coupler nut after the tube is adjusted.

http://www.seastarsolutions.com/wp-...ering_connection_kit_splashwell_SA27254-A.pdf

Here is where I tell you my new problem...

Both are completely stuck.

I sprayed the last bit of WD-40 Penetration I had and tried a nice set of pliars but the coupler-nut is stuck solidly - any more twisting would likely have damaged something.

The tube-clamp bolts are simply rusted through. Going to have to drill those babies.

This seems to be par for the course with a 40 year old boat. :facepalm:

Luckily I'm stubborn.:)

lancehunt

Seaman Apprentice
GA_Boater - I may try the "funky tongs" since I actually own a spanner-wrench set that looks similar to what they are asking for in the drawing.

Thanks for the great info as usual - I'll try rotating the gimbal ball seeing as its less effort than fighting those other two problems.

GA_Boater

If you have a spanner type wrench that fits, great.

If it doesn't work, you may be able to make a pair of funky tongs with some heavy piano wire from a hardware or Big Box store.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
You can make a spanner from a crescent wrench pretty easily.
2Q==
A couple roll pins and drill away.
My pics are not working at the moment I see, Google home made spanner and you will see what they look like.

2Q==

GA_Boater

You might be stuck with what you have now. The angle of the tube appears to be the limiting factor now. The tube needs to clear stuff behind the splashwell and it may be running out of room and hitting something.

I think the steering range won't cause any real problems and extreme steering lock isn't used that much.

lancehunt

Seaman Apprentice
I suspect you are right. This looks like its good enough to get me around the lake, I'll just have to plan any dock-turns a bit more than I would otherwise.

I'm calling this a win and moving on to the next challenge.

Thanks as always.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
I've never seen a setup with that much angle.They're usually more horizontal.

8_CamoWhaler13Transom.jpg

lancehunt

Seaman Apprentice
Ezmobee - I tend to agree. It seems like a setup that might only work on a much smaller motor, not a 70

Donnyb83

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey GAboater it's me again lol. This post just saved my life. Possibly my girls also. Lol just kidding. But I thought that about the splash well tube. Matter of fact I tried that. I got the four bolts off but the tube won't budge. How can I get that thing to pop loose. I knew this was the problem. I messed with this all day. Literally and right before dark I was like I know that tube needs to be pulled through further. At least I know where the problem lies.

GA_Boater

Is the spanner working to adjust the threaded tube in and out? The coupler nut on the back may need to be loosened. It's shown in the last pic in that set of instructions in the earlier post.

If the four bolts X'ed in the pic are loose, the gimbal should be free to turn with the spanner.

Another thought, if the inside of the gimbal plate is jammed against the sidewall, that could keep the gimbal trapped. Maybe try loosening the 5 or 6 bolts on the outside.

tube.PNG

Donnyb83

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey I'm sorry I just seen this post. I never got a message. I had to take a light hammer to pop the bolts out