What thickness starboard for binnacle control mounting plate? 1/4", 3/8" or 1/2"? 3/4"?

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
What thickness starboard for binnacle control mounting plate? 1/4", 3/8" or 1/2"? 3/4"?

I want to relocate the Mercury binnacle single control on my center console. Need to move it up and to the right a bit (i.e., away from the driver), perhaps two to three (diagonal) inches total, because apparently whoever installed it was of Munchkin height, whereas I am of more Sasquatch proportions. When standing, I literally have to crouch to reach the lever, especially when trying to reverse. And when sitting, lever knocks into my right knee when reversing.

(This photo not of my boat, but same control)
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d137/jmartin-/DSCF2333_edited.jpg

Gonna need a plate probably 9" high x 9" to 11" wide total to cover the old rectangular-ish hole through the face of the console and the "expansion" of that hole I'll need to do. So the area of the plate that the control will bolt to (and will be largely "unsupported" by glass / wood) will probably be like 5-6" wide by 6-7" high, the remaining (at minimum) 3/4" to 1" periphery of the plate for the eight to ten or so (probably #10 hardware) through-bolts for the plate.

I plan to use King Starboard (or the like) because, unlike acrylic, I know I can work it with the woodworking tools I have.

SO, given all that, what is the minimum thickness of starboard you'd go with for strength? 1/4", 3/8", or 1/2"?

Heck, maybe I should go 3/4" to give the control a little more vertical height?
(Planning to get some 3/4" thick anyway to make mount plates for transducer, VHF antenna, and a few other things)

(P.S., I wasn't sure if this should go in "General," "Rebuild" or "Controls" subforum...???)

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
You have same control as mine
DSCF2333_edited.jpg

I would use 1/4 and at least three layers of glass, or 3/8 and at least two layers of glass. Going thicker will work but then you need to make sure there is room to get full throw of the levers